Switching to vinyl? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It's interesting. The other night I had a conversation with one of my good buddy's about vinyl/controllerism/time-code. He and another good friend of mine share an apartment, and have the decks set up in the living room. So usually one of them is on the decks when we all go and chill. They generally use SSL.

But that evening my buddy was working on just using straight vinyl and his mixer, and leaving the computer out of it.

He literally said it was a lot harder, and therefore more interesting for him at the time. He's gotten down beatmatching using the waveforms pretty well, and wants to train his ears further so that he can do it without the "crutch" so to speak. I've brought up controllerism with him before, and he thinks it's neat just not for him.

Personally I'm out of work and can't afford anything right now, nevermind decks or a decent controller. But there really is something about seeing someone spin straight vinyl that says "Damn, that guy put in a lot of effort to get to the point where that can sound good." Because it's something about tuning your ears and not relying on any real visual data for what you are doing.

There is a certain "magic" about it I guess you could say.

That being said, any option is equal in my opinion. But as others have said, expanding yourself with the ability to play on different mediums will do nothing but help. And practice is practice, and sometimes you just need to switch it up to stay fired up.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I agree with every word of that post Big C.

Tech Guru

I use vinyl timecode mainly. however i do play cd's and straight vinyl. When setting my tone arms up i personaly take the weight off flip it round and put it right to the front well allmost this causes maximum weigh on the record. This does ware your records out more but for scratching it is a must. the early head shell ideas are spot on in my opinion so i wont add. however serato have bought out a timecode needly apparently its very good

When I play records now and days it's like the easiest thing on earth to mix. I remember how awesome it all used to be and then dream about the past. Then I look on Juno and realize that records are fucking expensive and I already own like 10000 of them. Now I use Serato Scratch and map it to an apc40. No turntables anymore.

didnt even know you could us scratch live without tables/cdjs.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123