sound drowns out when using effects in traktor
    Tech Wizard

Default sound drowns out when using effects in traktor

Hi everyone!

got a quest. when i turn up the dry/wet on most effects in traktor or ableton while djing, it drowns out the volume on the track im using the effect on.

any remedies for this?

thanks in advance

Tech Wizard

I think thats the whole idea behind having a dry\wet control...it's quite normal for the volume of the track to drown out if you set your effect all the way to wet since that means that you are actually affecting the whole portion of the sound...so it's quite obvious that the effect itself will stand out more...regulate the dry wet control on half or 3/4 and you'll see it's gonna work just fine.

Tech Guru

It really depends on the effect type. Some are built to be completely wet, others sound better with a mix of dry/wet. For example, delays are generally used mixed with some portion of the original signal, but something like a slicer or beat rearranger you might want fully wet, so it sounds as if the original signal was edited that way. Actually, the mix of dry/wet is really important to pay attention to, because with many kinds of looped sources plus sampling based fx on top of it can generate a lot of phase cancellation or accentuation. IE a sound with a lot of hollow or too loud parts.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Altered Ego View Post
    I think thats the whole idea behind having a dry\wet control...it's quite normal for the volume of the track to drown out if you set your effect all the way to wet since that means that you are actually affecting the whole portion of the sound...so it's quite obvious that the effect itself will stand out more...regulate the dry wet control on half or 3/4 and you'll see it's gonna work just fine.
    the thing is in a club i dont want to bring the volume of the track down, i just want to effect the track. ive gotten a few complants from promoters that while i was spinning it "sounded like the volume got put down" when i was using an effect

Tech Guru

eh. I mean, what effects are you talking about here?

If you are using an lfo, yes, it might seem like the volume goes down. because it is an lfo.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    eh. I mean, what effects are you talking about here?

If you are using an lfo, yes, it might seem like the volume goes down. because it is an lfo.
    two that i use are flanger and gater and it happens in both

Tech Guru

do you use these in advanced or chained? I would be wary about running a flanger full wet, would kinda sound like balls I think. Gater can be run on full, but it introduces a lot of noise unless you are in advanced mode.

Tech Guru

I'd suggest experimenting more at home so that you know what various kinds of fx do to the source signal with the dry/wet control at various settings. Traktor's fx are pretty standard as far as behavior goes. Maybe just get more familiar with the fx. You know you can save your settings as a snapshot, right? So anytime you load that effect, the settings are restored. Tweak the effect till it works for you, then save the snapshot.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    I'd suggest experimenting more at home so that you know what various kinds of fx do to the source signal with the dry/wet control at various settings. Traktor's fx are pretty standard as far as behavior goes. Maybe just get more familiar with the fx. You know you can save your settings as a snapshot, right? So anytime you load that effect, the settings are restored. Tweak the effect till it works for you, then save the snapshot.
    thanks for the tip! didnt know about that. gonna try it at home tonight