Torq 1.5 Gets NO Love Here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Torq 1.5 Gets NO Love Here?

Pardon the newbie question, but I just registered to this forum. I noticed something while briefly scanning through the posts: M-Audio Torq is rarely mentioned in a positive light here. Am I off base by saying this, or is there a solid reason for this? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I use Torq. I admit, it can get quirky every now and then. But it does the job.

I am also interested in using controllerism with Torq since it accepts MIDI, but I have yet to see any mapping or controller tutorials on DJTechTools or the forum. More to the point, I want to try the Guitar Hero controller to trigger loops in Torq, but even on Torq's own forum, there's just no how-to's for anything like that. Is there a reason for this? Am I going to have to break some new ground myself and create a Torq tutorial to get the other Torq users here out of hiding?

Somebody help me out here.

Respectfully,
    -- B-Naut
    Last edited by B-Naut; 03-01-2010 at 05:27 AM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I dont think anyone 'bashes' on any DVS or DJ program. Thats not really the DJTTs way. (i know you werent saying that)

I guess something get as much love as there are lovers of it.

If more people used Torq there would be more posts about it.

My guess is that now you made this thread all the Torq users will pop up and say Hi.
    There are a good few i think.

True that this place is heavily based on Traktor and Serato but thats just representative of the user base.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

K

Tech Wizard

Well i'd say it's cause maybe torq unlike serato vdj or traktor has less natively recognized midi instruments...and cause the only controller that actually gets sold with torq is the x-ponent (unless you use the dvs...but traktor costs less and plus you got the whole thing of traktor scratch duo which comes much cheaper...and serato is more known than torq regardin dvs) if im not wrong...so there you go...i guess that explains it

Tech Mentor

I tried torq for a little bit and found it's mappings unintuative (the learn function didn't seem to do what I wanted) and it didn't like mapping to my BCD3000 at all. I guess I shoudl give it another go with the vci300 now...

Effects-wise it seemed to fall well behind Traktor, while cues are quite comparible to CDJs.
    In-terms of the guitar hero controller thing just read how people have been setting up korg NanoPads or similar devices in Torq and then read about how people are getting the guitar hero to spit out midi messenges there's a cross-over here and that's all you need to get it rockin

Tech Wizard

I don't believe that Torq has what it takes to attract the die hard fans and advanced DJ's that want to explore it's limits. In my humble opinion, it's a software by beginners - for beginners. A nice introduction to DJ'ing, but not a viable tool for experienced users.

With no user base providing feedback and bitching about stuff, you can't stay in buiness today, and I believe that Torq lacks that user base since it's probably most "newbies" and "bedroom dj's" that uses Torq.

(just to be perfectly clear: I'm not implying that all who uses Torq are newbies or that "newbies" aren't entitled to help and support)
    Last edited by autonic; 03-01-2010 at 08:06 AM.

i tried torq before 1.5 and promptly returned it. most importantly i was getting blue screens of death from the connective soundbox, never had that issue with any other soundcard i've tried. other things i disliked were the interface and that amputate mode was an afterthought.

i think most people get torq cause its cheap, but this is one of those times were you get what you pay for.

not bashing on torq for no reason, just offering explanations on perhaps you don't see more torq stuff here.

djforums has a base of torq users, and there is always the m-audio forum if you are looking for more info.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

a good group of friends of mine are diehard xponent users and man do they rock out. Why dont I use Torq or the exponent? Because despite how great of a combo they are and work great, I cant do it my way. Thats why Im a controllerist and not just a DJ who uses a midi controller. I find that Torq users are the minority here because of how difficult it is to use the program and controller in a controllerist mindset. Correct me if Im wrong, but this is a forum for controllerism no? The midi programming features in Torq are lacking. Only 2 decks is no bueno (admittedly in the beginning I wouldnt of cared, but now its a must have), the effects arent bad, but Traktors is just too awesome.

Once Traktor gets a sampler and implements global modifiers that work across multiple devices I will be super happy. The biggest thing holding us back is the controllers themselves although Ean and Co do a fantastic job of showing us how to work around limitations.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Guru

Didn't Torq have the worst time stretch algorithm in a DJTT article a while back?

Atleast torque has support for tracks with fluctuating tempo's, Traktor users have been waiting for that forever

I used Torq when it first came out... It was just so buggy. The sound card was junkie it seemed, very toyish, and unfortunately you were stuck using their sound card. I had their xponnent controller for a month and tested it, but again it was junkie and toyish...

Torq was teh first DVS system I used and mostly used it with their control CDs. I think it helped me so using Traktor was kind of effortless, and I didn't have to learn much.

I feel the Torq products and system just aren't good for techno or any EDM Djs for that matter...

Not bashing them, just not fan of their stuff, and that is all based fom my experiences. I think I used the Torq stuff for almost 2 years...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast