PA Sub?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Sub?

Default PA Sub?

I need some low end in my PA system. I have two electro voice's now and just sold a SP3 floor speaker. I now am in the market for a good sub. Any suggestions.

I have the self powered version of the jbl jrx 118s, it sounds good to me and added a well needed thump to my 15's. They have been reliable for the past two years.
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

Tech Guru

How big of a sub are you looking for? Powered, Passive?

I'm looking for something big enough for house parties and smaller outdoor things. Sine, I've checked out your tuba, nice, but not really what I'm going for. I have a 1000 watt amp that I use for my EV's. So maybe a powered one would be the way to go. Or get a bigger amp. I just don't know.

Tech Guru

Yeah, I wasnt suggesting that. I was just wondering what you were looking for. Which electro voice tops do you have? 1000 watts seems like a lot of juice for tops, and I think you might find you need a lot less when for them when you cross over the tops correctly for use with a sub.

As a side note, have you run into any trouble with cops as far as sound goes in raleigh? House parties are about to get real where I am at (since you saw the other thread).

QSC KSub?

Tech Mentor

electro voice? what are those?

best option would probably be a powered sub with a built in crossover, assuming your tops are active of course. maybe look into one of the yorkvilles, 720p/700p - they'd have enough punch for a house party. ksub is overpriced for what you get and is really suited better for rock than electronic music. also think about selling your tops and grabbing a b-52 matrix, those systems are highly recommended and have two tops and a sub.

if you're thinking passive for your sub and have a real-world budget, think about a qsc hpr191i - those things are beasts. Cheaper option could be a peavy sp118, I've used one of those in the past and while they roar they tend to introduce harmonic distortion quickly and I'm not a fan of that kind of sound. Remember that with multiple subs the whole is than the sum of the parts, and never ever split subs unless they're more than 50 feet apart.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    and never ever split subs unless they're more than 50 feet apart.
    coincidentally the same length as the XLR cable maximum

was looking at the b52 matrix system as well a bit ago
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

B52 matrix system is a beast. Great for mobile setups. If you split the subs by less than 5 feet you can get by, but its either less than 5 or more than 50. Speakon cables are the way to go.

Tech Mentor

ahhh but why split by five feet when you can stack them or v-couple and stick em in a corner...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast