think i've damaged my monitors!! :(
    Tech Wizard

Default think i've damaged my monitors!! :(

Hi all..

Wonder if you help, i'm quite concerned i've damaged my KRK G2 Rokit RP5s.
    Went to some house for a little party on saturday and took the said monitors and sort of used them as PA speakers (i know its an awful idea). Anyhow, they were fine. I went to bed. They were plugged in etc. Came down in the morning and all the dials were turned to full high frequency was at full and volume +3db. Guess someone thought they'd whack it right up perhaps.. the room wasnt big so i guess it would have been very loud especially as some guy says he was playing of his mp3 at full blast..

I don't know if its psychological but i've just put them back into my home setup and my mixes sound whack! I keep thinking the mids sound a bit cack and a little distorted...

Is there any solid way I can tell? I'm not sure if im just worrying too much

Tips and advice greatly appreciated xx
    2 x Technics 1210 mk2, 2 x Ortofon Concorde Pro S, Ecler Nuo 2.0, Sennheiser HD-25 II, VCI-100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro

http://soundcloud.com/jainsy/jainsy-...from-this-week

Quote Originally Posted by jainsy View Post
    Hi all..

Wonder if you help, i'm quite concerned i've damaged my KRK G2 Rokit RP5s.
    Went to some house for a little party on saturday and took the said monitors and sort of used them as PA speakers (i know its an awful idea). Anyhow, they were fine. I went to bed. They were plugged in etc. Came down in the morning and all the dials were turned to full high frequency was at full and volume +3db. Guess someone thought they'd whack it right up perhaps.. the room wasnt big so i guess it would have been very loud especially as some guy says he was playing of his mp3 at full blast..

I don't know if its psychological but i've just put them back into my home setup and my mixes sound whack! I keep thinking the mids sound a bit cack and a little distorted...

Is there any solid way I can tell? I'm not sure if im just worrying too much

Tips and advice greatly appreciated xx
    Obviously you know this... but what were you thiking using them as a PA system? Sorry had to get that out of the way. Hopefully even if they aren't damaged this will deter you from doing that again.

I mean maybe the levels are off now, did you check all the dials and make sure you have them turned back down to your previous settings? Chances are if they clipped out for a while then they probably sustained some damage, you would most likely be able to tell if the woofers are blown...

Tech Wizard

im so stupid!
    im pretty sure they dont sound as great as they used too.. is there a way to actually check??
    2 x Technics 1210 mk2, 2 x Ortofon Concorde Pro S, Ecler Nuo 2.0, Sennheiser HD-25 II, VCI-100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro

http://soundcloud.com/jainsy/jainsy-...from-this-week

Tech Wizard

Default help

u could do a frequency check
    set your mixer to xone filter and sweep the frequencies, it could be helpful.
    and eaven better would be a speaker test tone stuff
    there is a ton of it on the web, some subwoofer tests some mid tests and some hi f test.

good luck