Synthesizer Questions
    Tech Student

Default Synthesizer Questions

Hey guys,
    First I want to say that I'm following this site for a while now and really appreciate the work ean&co and all the members here spent into this site !
    So thank you.

Now my question: I'm getting more and more into producing and my aim is to create a synth sound in the direction of digitalism/ed banger stuff. I don't want to copy the exact sound but it shoul go into this direction.
    I tried out many stuff ( synths: TAL elek7ro, Automat1, the Ableton synth, the Logic ES2 and more and more, different kinds of distortion ), but I don't get really close. The DAW i mainly use is Live.
    I searched youtube and many other forums aswell but all the answers i got were all very vaguely.

So do you have any ideas how i could try to get that sound, which synths I should use, what kind of distortion etc. to get that sound ?

Greetings and Thanks

Try Native Instruments MASSIVE
    and here are some tutorials on how to get dirty grungey sounding basses out of it

http://www.youtube.com/thesoundtutor...773926FA49A855
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

^^^ Great tutorials, probably exactly what you need.

Taking a sound and recreating something similar using a synth is a real art. You need to start with a good understanding of ADSR envelopes to shape the volume, listen to the tonality of the noise to guess which waveform it started with, watch out for layered sounds that use several oscillators and take on each layer in turn, listen for modulations of parameters using parameter envelopes (does it filter sweep?) and finally you have to separate the synth sound form any FX it is getting shoved through on the channel (bit-reduce, compression, crunchy overdrive, etc).

Essentially you're thinking to yourself "I need to make a noise that, when mashed through overdrive, will sound like this". It takes quite a bit of imagination and reverse engineering to get there but along the way you're sure to find some other good noises. Remember to save off a copy of those to add to your library as you continue to search for the sound you want. A personal library of unique sounds is invaluable, so even if you don't get the sound you want you'll probably end up with a bunch of sounds that are useful.

Step 1: get your synth, say Operator or Analogue, and READ THE FINE MANUAL from cover to cover, do the example tutorials, learn what it can do and get familiar with controls like "If I want to modulate parameter X, I need to do this..." so it's second nature.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 03-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.