djing during an art project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default djing during an art project

hey lads and lass'ss

I'm djing for an art show type project withing the next couple of weeks. Well, actually, its at a pretty cool little bar, there will be two live artists, and an art show at the end of the night. I'm fairly well set for the end of the evening (just my regular club tunes, house, funk breaks etc...) but I'm not too sure what to do during the whole thing. I figured there would be a lot of different styles going on (well, except electro, or, what people call electro these days, or anything too heavy). I figured maybe a lot of chill/trip hop, some jazzier dnb, and of course some good clean house. I'm pretty good with chill, but i'm not schooled on dnb at all, would any of you have any ideas of some good dnb artists or labels, new or old, that are fairly jazzy, and easy to listen to?

anyone have any other thoughts or ideas? perhaps some of you have done something like this already.

Thanks!!
    Tim
    newest TSP, late 2009 macbook (2 gigs ram, 2.13 cpu), 2 x technics 1200 mk2, allen & heath xone 32, herculese stealth...guitars, pedals, amps......

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Nothing says "I'm looking at art" to me more than trip hop and mellow electric jazz.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

thats kind of the interesting part though. They want me to play while they paint/draw etc.. meh, I'll probably just feel it out. Thats whats good about DVS, i don't need to carry in 200 lbs of records
    newest TSP, late 2009 macbook (2 gigs ram, 2.13 cpu), 2 x technics 1200 mk2, allen & heath xone 32, herculese stealth...guitars, pedals, amps......

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Oh that's different.

I mean, I know artists who create to death metal, and some to drum and bass. I say you decide what the mood should be and go with it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

some good dnb artists that have some lighter more mellow dnb are, TREi ("lead me on" is a good one.), Logistics, Ill Logic (some tracks are pretty chill,) stuff like "could this be real" by subfocus, some Survival. ya know etc...
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

You can go with some more mellow dubstep too. Things off the Hyperdub label like Burial work great in a chill atmosphere. If you are into things along those lines check out percussionlabs.com for some more suggestions. The people there are totally on the more chill dubstep tip.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Literally whenever I have that kind of question, I go to beatport, and probably spend an evening listening to samples of different genre's and going to tangents of those and whatnot. I can lose track of time so fast when doing that, it's unreal.

My best advice would be dig around beatport for awhile, and you'll eventually find some gems that really speak for the mood you are going for.

Tech Guru

I'm all for the chill dubstep idea. Go buy 5 years of hyperdub album, you will find a lot of stuff.

Also.... It might not go off greatttt, but how about some fever ray/the knife? Puts me in another place.

For chill Dnb, Logistics does have some good tunes, Transporter at the top of my list prolly. When It Rains, It pours is a reallly good track as well.

What about some indie dance/nu disco. Fake Bloods lighter fare (I think I like it) is kinda cool, and not super energetic, and nice and funky. Things along those lines could go well, to mix it up from your deep house sets.

Also, guys like Martyn, Moderat, stuff like that is pretty damn good as well.

Basically I'm just thinking of electronic music that illicits a lot of emotional response other than, I want to dance (fake blood being the exception)

Also, If you end up spinning any dnb, and do it at the end of your time slot.... you should hit them with something HEAVY to end it hahahaha. Step On by Original Sin comes to mind. God it hits hard.
    Last edited by sine143; 03-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Tech Guru

You should drop the eDIT Remix of Artsier than me hahahaha. Sorry. I'll stop now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast