need some advice on which soundcard to upgrade and switching with another DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need some advice on which soundcard to upgrade and switching with another DJ

So I have an Audio 4 and I LOVE it but a local club that I will be DJing at requires me to plug into 3 XLR's! Also my friend and I were planning on switching off mid set so I do 2 and a half hours and he does the rest. So I am figuring I can get an adapter for RCA to XLR but I will need another channel out. Is the Audio 8 the best bang for the buck or should I look at something else(USB)? Also are there some sort of switch we can both plug into and fade into each other or something like that?

Tech Mentor

You should probably double check what you have to do.. can't you just plug into the club mixer?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Wait, three XLRs? That doesn't make any sense. I'd clarify, cause there shouldn't be a need for a DJ to need three XLRs. Two I can understand, but not three.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

they have 2 for the dance floor one for each side and a separate one for the bar.

Theoretically you can do this without too much trouble. If you're mixing internally with the Audio4, well, that makes things a little more difficult.

The Audio8 would be a great choice. You could set a separate set of outs to booth out and just give them one XLR for it. I'm assuming the headphone out of the Audio4 is the same as the second set of outs, like the Audio8's headphones is the same as the 4th channel (7/8).

As far as blending, are you using two totally different rigs? If so, what's your buddy using?
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 03-04-2010 at 02:09 AM.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

he has torq and needs the Torq interface which I don't really see a way around. Would you recommend the Audio 8 over the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra?

I use my VCI-100 for the mixing and my friend has a Record Out on his mixer but I think thats the same thing as booth out.

I'd recommend the Audio8, personally.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Why don't you just use the club mixer?

That's what I've done with pretty much every gig I've ever done - leave the house rig alone, plug the out from my soundcard into a line on the mixer, flatten all the EQs on the mixer channel, check the level is in with whoever is on before me, then when it's my turn, I just use my VCI & TSP. The guy who takes over from my then just has to start on the correct channel if I'm using the line on one of the phono channels.

Easy.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

That sounds like it's just the cables running to the speakers. ¿Are they powered speakers? Otherwise... ¿where are the amplifiers for them? Those XLRs should be going either from the amp to the un-powered speakers or from a mixing console to powered speakers.

Anyway, you both need a single mixer to come together. You say he has one right, with a rec out? Then you plug into one of his channels.

If you do your mixing inside the computer why would you want and Audio 8 when the Audio 4 is just right?

Rec out is not booth out, Rec out has the volume tied to the master out, it goes with the master volume. The booth out has a totally separate volume knob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast