External effector
    Tech Convert

Default External effector

Hello,
    After few months of reading djtechtools i decided to replace my old dual cd player with VCI-100/300. Unfortunately it is not so simple because VCI can act also as a mixer so I wouldn't need my Vestax PCV-180 mixer anymore (for home use VCI features are enought). What's more i have external effector Kaoss pad 2 and I don't want to get rid of it.
    My point is that MIDI controllers do not support "effect loop" so I will be unable to route sound in/out to my kaoss pad. I know that I can connect VCI to PC, then make one line-out per Deck in Traktor, and connect them to 2 channels in mixer and then route sound to effector but in this case I will have two mixers at same time! Do you have any ideas how to connect them? or maybe i don't need external effector? I don't think that selling KP2 is a good idea.

If I were you here is what I would do :
    - Keep your mixer and the kaoss pad
    - Mix on traktor externally, and since you have 3 chanels on this mixer you could get to use 3 traktor players
    - Use the available controls on the vestax vci (line faders, EQ and cross-fader) to control the effects, or looping

In the end you will have a great set-up which will allow you to do crazy things!

Just have the MIDI in to the PC and just have to audio go from the PC to the Kaoss pad and then out to your old mixer feeding your monitors. There's no need for an effects send loop.

When you say have the audio going from the PC to the Kaoss pad, I assume you mean from the sound card OUT to the Kaoss pad IN; and then the OUT of the Kaoss pad to the IN of the mixer?

Just interested to have a clear idea of this because as soon as I can afford it I'll be looking into mixing externally.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Tech View Post
    Just have the MIDI in to the PC and just have to audio go from the PC to the Kaoss pad and then out to your old mixer feeding your monitors. There's no need for an effects send loop.
    This is the only way now but notice that I will be adding effects only to the master, and I want to add them like in mixer( I select between master or 1-3 channels and then I add effects).

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    When you say have the audio going from the PC to the Kaoss pad, I assume you mean from the sound card OUT to the Kaoss pad IN; and then the OUT of the Kaoss pad to the IN of the mixer?

Just interested to have a clear idea of this because as soon as I can afford it I'll be looking into mixing externally.
    Yes. Kaoss pad has Line out and Line in (same as mixer) so there are many ways to connect it.

BTW. Controlling effects by knobs in VCI is really so bad?

Tech Convert

This KP2 has MIDI in/out. I think its the best ways to connect it to the PC. But i didn't ever do that. I know that i can map keys, but will it also work as a normal effector in Traktor? i just plug in, set options and i have same effect as fx loop in normal mixer?

Personally i would not be using it for audio effects processing, you would need to buy one unit per channel, or just settle with one being on your master channel. That doesn't quite cut it in my personal opinion, i think it would be more useful and personal controlling effects on the pc via midi. If you are using it as an external effector then you lose a lot of control with internal eqing/smartmixing and other master fx/mastering.

Mixing externally is not all its cracked up to be in my opinion and i plan sticking with an internal only mixing setup for these reasons.

If you were super super keen on keeping the FX processing of the Kaos pad it is possible to route the audio out of the pc, though the koas pad, then back into the pc. This way you could choose which audio channel gets send though the kaos pad (using send channels) and bring the audio back into the pc for reprocess of the resulting sound before its ready for the for the main output.

Tech Convert

Thank you for your reply. I decided that I'll keep KP2 and sell the rest. When I'll have VCI-100 I'll try to use KP2 as midi controller (it has midi in/out). I think that having VCI + any midi controller would be better than having only one. Anyway even if it won't work together or KP2 would be unuseful it's no problem to sell it later

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I decided that I'll keep KP2 and sell the rest. When I'll have VCI-100 I'll try to use KP2 as midi controller (it has midi in/out). I think that having VCI + any midi controller would be better than having only one. Anyway even if it won't work together or KP2 would be unuseful it's no problem to sell it later
    Hey,

does anybody has got new ideas out there ?

I'd also like to use the KP3 with my VCI-100SE Arcade as an external FX controller without purchasing an external mixer.
    is there any midi mapping or anything else available as a solution (for internal mixing) ?
    (sound interface: audio 4 dj)

Thanks n all the best
    ron