need some advice for upcoming gig

Default need some advice for upcoming gig

Greetings everyone

just landed a gig to mix the music for a fashion show in san jose. besides the handful of questionable tracks requested by the designers, I need some "elemental transitions".

to clarify the fashion show is Element themed ie wind, earth, fire, water etc...for changing in between designer lines. Im currently exploring some creative transitions that somehow highlight each element

any input would greatly be appreciated

edit: the playlist consist of mainly nu-disco and some electro...if that helps

Tech Wizard

I know this idea sounds odd, but I would suggest checking out the pieces/clothes that are to be shown at the show. Maybe they would give you an idea of the mood and help you figure out which tracks would associate with them.

first thing that comes to mind for wind would be hp filter sweeps. I always thought that had an airy quality to it but it can get old real quick if you overuse. For fire, some wicked cutting may be enough for that. can't really get too specific on that without knowing the tracks. For water, some LFO action maybe in order. Dunno tho. These are all just off the top of my head so take what you will Hope it helps!
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

I think you should really try and program the show out with the show director... usually music for fashion shows is prerecorded, and the DJ (if there is one) is for before and after the show. This is just my experience from the shows I have attended. I am in no way suggesting that you couldn't dj throughout the show, I am sure it is done, I am just trying to figure what would work best for you. Again, I would really suggest programing the show out ahead of time with the designer and director and know what you are gonna play exactly...

yeah, a filter sweep right when a "wind"-type piece comes out would be really cool. for "earth" maybe something with a growling bass, earthquake type you know?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

ive started to experiment with some vst effects to achieve some cool wind sounding sweeps. I also have a water droplet sample that sounds cool with a really large room reverb.

@Lance, your assumptions are correct, the fashion show itself is going to be highly coordinated with the design director. In fact the timing cues for the models is essentially going to be this "soundtrack" for the show. I have begun making some "extended edits" of the tracks to work with the directors current timeline. I have until april 20th (no joke) to get it finished.

Im also set to do the after party which they said the music would be completely to my own discretion.

do you guys think it would be wise to play it safe with ableton and launch some preset clips or play some pre-edited tracks with traktor. (atm i feel much more at home with traktor)