manager for a label and dj - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Its done on a percentage basis of certain things... and I was originally approached by her to be my PR agent, she handles Carl Cox's PR here in the states, so I knew her from that. As a PR agent i paid her a monthly flat fee, which is how al PR agents work. She then took me on as a manager about 1 year later.
    you say you pay her a flat monthly fee

    now lemme ask you this.

    1. is this fee always constantly the same?

    2. carl cox pays you monthly as well, now what about if carl cox doesn't spin for 2 months in the states, does she still gets paid for those two months?

    3. when dj's spin at a club, how do they receive their money? how would carl cox receive his money? does it go thru his manager or something?


    ty

  2. #12
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I'm running a special promotion right now, for a low flat fee of $3,000 a month, I will offer 24/7 pessimism via my cell phone. You can call me anytime for a dose of "don't do it, sounds like hes trying to screw you over"

    Any takers?
    3,000 a month lol. wow. thats something that maybe a manager of dj's like mark knights, tom novy would be making and maybe like 6k or more if your the manager of richie hawtin. but for some dude name mmauve llol. do u manage any big dj's. i mean how many people pay you 3,000 a month. what type of service do you bring to them. do they make enough at these parties to pay you the 3,00 a month?


    i'm not bashing you or anything. i'm asking you, coming a little hard on you, because i wan't to be aware of what i could one day expect if i'm looking for a manager. so if you give me an answer that answers all of those questions above then you would be giving me experience and also cautions or warnings of rips off or any such. which i'd be grateful for

  3. #13
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    you say you pay her a flat monthly fee

    now lemme ask you this.

    1. is this fee always constantly the same?

    2. carl cox pays you monthly as well, now what about if carl cox doesn't spin for 2 months in the states, does she still gets paid for those two months?

    3. when dj's spin at a club, how do they receive their money? how would carl cox receive his money? does it go thru his manager or something?


    ty

    I don't pay a monthly fee, she gets a percentage of certain things, when she was handling PR only I was paying a fee. I don't know the deal she has with Carl Cox, PR is always handled differently on a per client basis.

    As far as gigs go, you are confusing the job of a manager with that of an agent... But I will tell you how how I get paid when gigging. I receive a 50% deposit, plus transportation costs and hotel upfront, that is paid directly to me, then I am paid the other 50% before I go on, that could be either a week before I go on or 2 minutes before. Now when I have an agent those payments are all made to that agent, and the agent keeps their cut and pays me my amount, but again this sort of thing is different from agent to agent and from artist to artist.
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  4. #14
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I don't pay a monthly fee, she gets a percentage of certain things, when she was handling PR only I was paying a fee. I don't know the deal she has with Carl Cox, PR is always handled differently on a per client basis.

    As far as gigs go, you are confusing the job of a manager with that of an agent... But I will tell you how how I get paid when gigging. I receive a 50% deposit, plus transportation costs and hotel upfront, that is paid directly to me, then I am paid the other 50% before I go on, that could be either a week before I go on or 2 minutes before. Now when I have an agent those payments are all made to that agent, and the agent keeps their cut and pays me my amount, but again this sort of thing is different from agent to agent and from artist to artist.
    now hold on i find this interesting, lemme confirm a few things here.

    PR means pay roll, i can assume, correct

    so your manager doesn't find you the gigs, its the agent who does it.

    so the only thing your manager does is handle the PR. now whats involved in the PR? i mean are you receiving a check or something? i mean like what part does PR play in your career. is it important to have some1 to do your PR. can you do it yourself? any benefits by having someone doing it? do you really need to do the PR?

    i actually wanna continue talking about the agent but first i wanna clear the whole PR thing first before i jump to the next topic. this stuff is good food for my brain so i know how it works and how i can set down the rules just the same or similar to the way you have it.

    thank you in advance

  5. #15
    Tech Mentor Midi Kids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    now hold on i find this interesting, lemme confirm a few things here.

    PR means pay roll, i can assume, correct

    so your manager doesn't find you the gigs, its the agent who does it.

    so the only thing your manager does is handle the PR. now whats involved in the PR? i mean are you receiving a check or something? i mean like what part does PR play in your career. is it important to have some1 to do your PR. can you do it yourself? any benefits by having someone doing it? do you really need to do the PR?

    i actually wanna continue talking about the agent but first i wanna clear the whole PR thing first before i jump to the next topic. this stuff is good food for my brain so i know how it works and how i can set down the rules just the same or similar to the way you have it.

    thank you in advance
    Im pretty sure PR stands for Public Relations correct me if im wrong
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

  6. #16
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    now hold on i find this interesting, lemme confirm a few things here.

    PR means pay roll, i can assume, correct

    so your manager doesn't find you the gigs, its the agent who does it.

    so the only thing your manager does is handle the PR. now whats involved in the PR? i mean are you receiving a check or something? i mean like what part does PR play in your career. is it important to have some1 to do your PR. can you do it yourself? any benefits by having someone doing it? do you really need to do the PR?

    i actually wanna continue talking about the agent but first i wanna clear the whole PR thing first before i jump to the next topic. this stuff is good food for my brain so i know how it works and how i can set down the rules just the same or similar to the way you have it.

    thank you in advance
    I guess I should have let you know what PR is, I just assumed you knew...

    PR = Public Relations ie. Getting me in magazines, radio interviews, album reviews, stuff like that...

    For my description of what teh manager does please see my first post in this thread so I don't need to write it all out again. Its not an easy job, and neither is the job of a booking agent, but the 2 jobs are very different, yet often confused...
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  7. #17
    Tech Mentor LiveFastStephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    332

    Default

    yo lance i'm sorry but you've dropped "carl cox" so many times its worn out.. in a related topic a long time forever ago i was going to model but after shopping agents and managers i found out you basically buy your way into the scene, now hearing about dj management in the same tone, i have to give a sad laugh.. now not all labels are like that, ThreeOneG and NineTeen 95 for instance, lables dedicated to support artests, ideas and creation.
    Last edited by LiveFastStephen; 03-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.

  8. #18
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post
    yo lance i'm sorry but you've dropped "carl cox" so many times its worn out.. in a related topic a long time forever ago i was going to model but after shopping agents and managers i found out you basically buy your way into the scene, now hearing about dj management in the same light, i have to give a sad laugh.. now not all labels are like that, ThreeOneG and NineTeen 95 for instance, lables dedicated to support artests, ideas and creation.
    I can drop plenty of other names if i wanted to. I owe a lot to Carl, and if you knew him on a personal level you would understand why I think he is a great person... put all the DJing and stuff aside, for me Coxy is someone I look up to and a mentor for me. His values and the way he carries himself is something that I admire. You seem to be angry at me for some reason, dunno why. Anyways, my manager & PR also handles Sander Van Doorn, Dubfire, Dresden, Matt Darey, Serge Devant, and others...

    As far as buying my way into this, that is laughable. I have spent much of my life in this scene and paid my dues with the work I did. I work hard to keep Teggno alive and well also. I pay artists 60% of their sales, and the other 40% goes into the label not my pocket. I feel very strongly on this because when I first got into production myself and my production partner at the time were taken advantage of and we had thousands of dollars stollen from us. I didn't start doing this like 2 years ago, I have been producing under other names/monikers when vinyl pressing was a common practice and mp3's were not. Paying someone for PR is the only way you get PR. When I first started out I was featured in magazines etc, and that was stuff that was just handed to me... A PR person takes your album, or a release and puts it in the hands of the people who do the reviews etc. I guess its hard for you to understand as you are not in the position to understand it.

    I don't really need to defend myself to you, but I do feel the need to defend my label more. Teggno has helped quite a few new artists break into the scene with its something I am very proud of.

    Finally a word of advise to you: I learned quite early on to not be overly infatuated and obsesed with other people's accomplishments and how happy they are about them. It actually is better to embrace people's accomplishments and work with them, or try and maybe learn from their experiences and gain some of their knowledge.. you can take this advice and apply it to your everyday life, not just with the music industry. Try not to be angry and be so quick to try and discredit someone or put them down. Also try and keep the hater comments to yourself, it helps make you look a little better in the eye of the public.

    All the best brother
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  9. #19
    Tech Wizard drex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I could be wrong here... maybe I read her original post wrong, but I think the guy coming from overseas is her friend... am I right?
    Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I've been negotiating a contract (how appropriate...)

    From her post, clearly Lola says he's a friend. My comments aren't meant to be making out that this person is not a friend. if I've given that impression to her (and you) then my apologies.

    I still think they are valid though, and perhaps more so, given that it's a friend. Doing business with friends is either great or a disaster IMO. If the friendship is really valuable, sometimes the best thing is not to form any business relationships. They devil is always in the details, and best intentions aside, if Lola is unsure about her abilities to meet the expectations not only of her friend, but the people she will be managing and interacting with in that role, then she needs to consider the issues I've raised (back-up, mentoring etc).

    I'm not raining on her parade, just trying to provide - from hard learned lessons - some insight into the bigger picture surrounding the role in general.

    I hope it's useful and appropriate, and best of luck.

  10. #20
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drex View Post
    Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I've been negotiating a contract (how appropriate...)

    From her post, clearly Lola says he's a friend. My comments aren't meant to be making out that this person is not a friend. if I've given that impression to her (and you) then my apologies.

    I still think they are valid though, and perhaps more so, given that it's a friend. Doing business with friends is either great or a disaster IMO. If the friendship is really valuable, sometimes the best thing is not to form any business relationships. They devil is always in the details, and best intentions aside, if Lola is unsure about her abilities to meet the expectations not only of her friend, but the people she will be managing and interacting with in that role, then she needs to consider the issues I've raised (back-up, mentoring etc).

    I'm not raining on her parade, just trying to provide - from hard learned lessons - some insight into the bigger picture surrounding the role in general.

    I hope it's useful and appropriate, and best of luck.
    I get what your saying.. I was figuring he was coming over cause he was her friend and visiting not about a job offer... I thought he was just suggesting a career path or something... not sure though...
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •