manager for a label and dj - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Mentor

lance is right on target there. i know several guys who were touring internationally before they were picked up by an agent.

yea lance is the man... thanks for the breakdown about agents and managers. and everyone else who chipped in, you are absolutely right in your words of caution. E.D. is a friend, although i have not known him for long, we met through a chance encounter this summer. his label has been around since the 90s and through some negative experiences with partners he has kept it closed off to other people for a long time. still not sure why, (maybe its bc we have a shared tendency to be misanthropic? kidding..) for some reason i guess he is giving me an opportunity to be a part of his projects. it would be an understatement to say that im pretty excited. anyway we agreed it is better that he book a ticket for me to fly to dublin in early april instead so i could see the studio and how things worked. i think drex, you may be right about the taking under the wing part, it was my friend who suggested me the apc40 when i was looking for a controller. anyway, im not harboring any unrealistic thoughts, so even if nothing comes of it, at least i'll get to take a week off school

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    well most DJs are their own agents. It takes time and reputation to get on an agency. There needs to be a reason for you to be added to the agency's roster... usually they will want to see that are already getting gigs on your own so they know there is a reason to pick you up. Then they will seek out gigs for you and handle all your incoming requests...
    stupid question but if i act as my own agent that means the money will come str8 to me right

Tech Convert

Everyone should listen exactly to what Lance says, he knows what he's talking about. I worked as a booking agent for some big electronic acts for a couple of years, i'm now moving into working more in the management/PR side of things.

One thing I will say and I don't mean to come across like a dick when I say it but, if you're not touring nationally or internationally - you don't need a booking agent. Simple as. I used to get around 20 to 30 messages a day from DJs asking me to represent them after they played a few shows in their local area or got one mediocre track on a blog. It just doesn't work like that. By all means if you think you have a product to sell and are already getting requests from out of town then approach an agent and show them what you have to offer. Other than that, we'll probably be knocking on your door if you really need an agent. We need something to sell to promoters, yes we handle incoming requests and the bigger names on our books don't need selling but when we initially take on a client they're not usually massive quite yet and we have to sell them to our existing database of promoters throughout the world. Be it by having a release on a well respected label, some remixes locked up for some major acts, hype as an amazingly skilled DJ in your own country, even that (enter big name DJ here) has took you under their wing and is championing you. I understand it's kind of crude to think of your "art" in these terms but at the end of the day you are a product and there needs to be something to sell.

Like has already been said, most big DJs will have handled booking their own shows up until a national or even international stage before an agent comes on board so bear that in mind. As for what an agent does, we're there to handle all the boring stuff like making sure deposits are paid, coordinating with promoters to arrange the travel/hotels, planning itinerary, sort work permits where needed as well as the obvious handling of incoming requests and pimping you out to our Johns

As for PR, I'm not going to mention any names but I know a lot of internationally touring big name DJs and almost all of them pay for PR - it's not buying your way to success, it's part of the business. And to add to what Lance has already stated of a managers duties there is a few more such as looking for remixes (those major label remixes might not be cool but they sure pay well), looking for other possible avenues of exploiting your clients catalogue such as getting songs placed in computer games/advertisements etc (when the act doesn't have a publisher), seeking out endorsements/freebies and many more. All three jobs have a place in the business and when you really need one of them at a particular point in your career i'm sure you will know.

Tech Convert

Oh and i'd happily chime in on a "The Business" topic and answer any questions people have about booking agents, feel free to paste what I already posted into that topic if it does get created.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234