manager for a label and dj - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yep, it's not clear to me either.

Cheers..

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

yo lance we just have different outlooks man, especially about the capitalistic means of things.. i feel public image should be based on what you've accomplished and how well you hold it down, which iv worked from nothing to build, so i don't see that structure tippin from bullshit, honestly man i'm not in this bizz to be fake while being a dick in between the lines, id rather be straight & cool in-between the lines.. iv stood up for you before with some dude calling you out, solely for on the fact you've been here in the forum a long time, i have now too, i know This Time i did the calling out but from here lets keep it cool.

It's not really being fake or being a dick when paying for PR. There are tons of people in this biz who bust their asses everyday and don't get any recognition for it. The best way to get attention is by promoting the hell out of yourself utilizing media outlets. This service is what PR firms/publicists provide.

Your public image is based on public opinion; which, without proper publicity, does not exist due to lack of exposure.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Yeah just to round this off so we're all clear, I wasn't pissing on her parade either, just healthy advice from someone who has seen a lot of people take advantage of people in this business and it always seems to be people you associate as a friend at first.
    This may be someone who she has known for years and really has her best interests at heart, in which case, go for it and don't ever let anyone hold you back. Just always think about the decisions you have to make with a pinch of reality as not everyone will be the friend when it comes to it.
    Sorry for the pessimistic outlook, feel like I have put a dampener on it now, not my intention at all.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I guess I should have let you know what PR is, I just assumed you knew...

PR = Public Relations ie. Getting me in magazines, radio interviews, album reviews, stuff like that...

For my description of what teh manager does please see my first post in this thread so I don't need to write it all out again. Its not an easy job, and neither is the job of a booking agent, but the 2 jobs are very different, yet often confused...
    well your first post just talks 90% a managers duty. almost like you just define what a manager does and then 10% is the specific details of one or more of what the duties are which is mentioned at the end with guidance and decision making. actually the post i'm quoting is more specific and a better understanding to me of what this manager does to you. since i'm already aware of what a manager does since i'm a supervisor at costco. but thats just my opinion.

so a manager like the one you have is probably something that a more popular dj should have? such as when you reach the level of producing music etc. although the only thing i want to really do at this moment is respin music. although i could use a girl to make a handful of sounds which i can drop on tracks etc.

anyways moving on to agent, what does your agent do, and whats the benefit of having him and hes name is only agent? or is agent just short for his rank-name?

what type of dj's would need agent's?

are dj's who work @ one specific club excluded from the need of an agent?

Default Managers and Agents

Seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread about who does what. We're getting a lot of cross over between PR, Agents, Management and the role of the "talent" in how the business works.

There's a lot of experience in this forum and a lot of aspirational and skilled DJ's / Controllerists that want to learn.

Anyone up for a new thread on "the business"?

Manager - oversees the day to day business affairs of an artist. Managers are there to advise and counsel talent about professional matters and personal decisions which may affect our career.

Booking Agent (Agent) - your booking agent goes out and finds gigs for you, and also handles booking requests and payment and all that good stuff.

Public Relations (PR) - Simply handles all communication between the artist and the public. Public relations also helps you gain exposure to the public using the media, like magazines, radio, TV, internet...

Those are just real quick definitions, but they should help you underrstand a little bit.

Just a note about PR. If you don't have anything there than the PR rep canot do anything. They can't put you in the public if there is nothing to work with... Many of PR companies will not take you on unless you hav accomplished certain things in your career. You don't just show up with $2,000 and become famous.

Hope this has helped a little...

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    well your first post just talks 90% a managers duty. almost like you just define what a manager does and then 10% is the specific details of one or more of what the duties are which is mentioned at the end with guidance and decision making. actually the post i'm quoting is more specific and a better understanding to me of what this manager does to you. since i'm already aware of what a manager does since i'm a supervisor at costco. but thats just my opinion.

so a manager like the one you have is probably something that a more popular dj should have? such as when you reach the level of producing music etc. although the only thing i want to really do at this moment is respin music. although i could use a girl to make a handful of sounds which i can drop on tracks etc.

anyways moving on to agent, what does your agent do, and whats the benefit of having him and hes name is only agent? or is agent just short for his rank-name?

what type of dj's would need agent's?

are dj's who work @ one specific club excluded from the need of an agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by drex View Post
    Seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread about who does what. We're getting a lot of cross over between PR, Agents, Management and the role of the "talent" in how the business works.

There's a lot of experience in this forum and a lot of aspirational and skilled DJ's / Controllerists that want to learn.

Anyone up for a new thread on "the business"?
    Last edited by LanceBlaise; 03-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Manager - oversees the day to day business affairs of an artist. Managers are there to advise and counsel talent about professional matters and personal decisions which may affect our career.

Booking Agent (Agent) - your booking agent goes out and finds gigs for you, and also handles booking requests and payment and all that good stuff.

Public Relations (PR) - Simply handles all communication between the artist and the public. Public relations also helps you gain exposure to the public using the media, like magazines, radio, TV, internet...

Those are just real quick definitions, but they should help you underrstand a little bit.

Just a note about PR. If you don't have anything there than the PR rep canot do anything. They can't put you in the public if there is nothing to work with... Many of PR companies will not take you on unless you hav accomplished certain things in your career. You don't just show up with $2,000 and become famous.

Hope this has helped a little...
    would a new dj be required to have an agent?

can a dj act as his own agent ? for the first 1-4yrs or w/e.?

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    would a new dj be required to have an agent?

can a dj act as his own agent ? for the first 1-4yrs or w/e.?
    well most DJs are their own agents. It takes time and reputation to get on an agency. There needs to be a reason for you to be added to the agency's roster... usually they will want to see that are already getting gigs on your own so they know there is a reason to pick you up. Then they will seek out gigs for you and handle all your incoming requests...

Tech Wizard

lance ur the man

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast