Audio 4DJ and music production
    Tech Student

Default Audio 4DJ and music production

Was planning on buying the Audio 4DJ for use with Traktor, but wondering how that card works for making music. Thinking of trying to lay down some tracks using Reason.

Does anyone know if the Audio 4DJ would be decent for that sort of thing, or if I need and Audio 8DJ. Would using this require a separate device for a mic preamp for vocals? If there's a better card out there for if I want to do both DJing and music production?

Tech Mentor

Personally I would recommend to get a really nice card that would do both, why have two different cards? Look around for different cards and check out reviews. Motu have nice cards for example, no need to buy cards marketed for dj's

The audio 8 dj is no better for production than the Audio4.
    NI card for both: audio kontrol 1
    The presonus firebox is also popular

Tech Student

Yep, that's what I am looking for, something that can do both.

I checked out the Presonus looks good, but I need USB. That audio kontrol looks like it might be what I need, thanks for the suggestion. Going to read up on that one some more.

I actually have the Audio 8 and i love it.
    I went from using a M-Audio Omni delta 66 card to this Audio 8 and i am really pleased.
    Im running Ableton 8 and reason 4.0 and the sound quality is great, i have it coming out of the audio 8 to a mixing board and out to some KRK Rokit 8 monitors.
    NI cards are all made with the same quality, so your Audio 4 would be cool, it just ends up being what exactly you want to do with it as far as what to hook up to the card.
    I like the ability of having all the ins and outs available and the monitor plug for the headphones is loud.

Good luck,

Therblig

Tech Student

Ok, thanks for the info.

Default Audio4dj

I have an audio 4... Perfect for use as timecode in (a and b) house out and cue cans/monitors in Traktor Pro. Also use it in live 8 for same purposes and works wonderfully... Word of caution... I experienced frequent audio dropouts and mac os saying it was underpowered with a GENERIC usb cable... Ferrite cores and less than 6 feet!
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

since the audio8/4 color your sound i wouldnīt suggest them at all for music production..for playing out in a club ect. itīs fine!

Tech Student

Thanks again for all the replies.