Xone 1d- whaddya think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xone 1d- whaddya think?

Right now I have a vci-100 and it simply isn't working out for me:

* crappy buttons (I know about the arcade button mod but not really interested)
    * some strange layout decisions (maybe they work for others but not for me)
    * low resolution sliders (not precise enough for perfect beatmatching. I'm starting to get really frustrated with this)

Anyway, my point is, the vci-100 is not going to work for me, at least by itself (I do love the jog wheels, though). I'm curious to know why the xone 1d hasn't been talked about much around here- I'd like to know more about these little guys.

I like the xones because they have a simple layout but have enough buttons/knobs/sliders to have a lot of control. The two layouts I'm considering are two xone 1ds on the sides with either a real analog mixer (I have a nice vestax pcv-275 from my vinyl days) or my vci-100 (to stay entirely digital) in the middle. If I have a vci in the middle, then I can control 4 decks with 4 jog wheels which would be nice, but I'd still have to live with low resolution pitch sliders.

Time to wind down my post. My actual question is what do you think of the xone 1d controllers? Are the jog wheels high enough resolution? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks guys!

Xone1d looks nice, but I am missing some rotaries and a crossfader.

Mechanical build is, as I have heared, flawless.
    I also heared people that bought it, have not ever looked back.

But than again it all depends what kind of mixing you would like to do.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Get the xone 4d and you're set for life. At least that's what i think. If i had 3000 dollars to spend. I'd get that. Having said that, maybe you don't have 3000 dollars.. so i'd say the 1d are solid enough.

Tech Guru

The Xone4D is the ultimate if you can afford it... 2 Xone1Ds and a standard mixer could be quite a nice combo tho and significantly cheaper.

Another interesting option which is entirely digital could be 2 Xone 1Ds and a VCM100, which has nice long pitch faders and as well as 2 nice chunky rotary encoders, it also has a decent built in soundcard (maya)...

a 1D with most any mixer is much more realistic setup if you plan on playing out often .

@2left2right
    Well, people said the same about the Xone:3d, and we all know what an overrated hype that was. So I am a little bit sceptical, to say the least, about the 4d.

I still think you'll be better off (and even cheaper off) by opting for a Xone:92 and 1 or 2 Xone:1d-s.

To come back to smallfry's question, the 1D might be a nice solution if you're going to mix using beatgrids.

Or, if you are as strangesided as me, opt for either a Korg Zero8, Ecler Evo5 or an Ecler Nuo4 (not 4.0!). The last one you could also add 1 or 2 Xone:1d-s to.

To get back to smallfry's question, The 1D is a nice solid mixing solution, when using beatgrids.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

i own a vci 100 and frankly it works out quite well for me))) i mix mostly using beatgrids and don't bother about the pitch faders, sometimes i reassign them to loop length function.
    all in all vci 100 is a good device, only that mainly it controls only 2 decks, and as i play minimal i'm looking forward to control 4 decks. thta's why i intend to buy another midi, and i'm pretty sure i'll go with the cheap x-session pro, enough to control 2 more decks and effects.
    the xone 1D is pretty much amazing if you get it assigned to effects, the 4 faders and 3 more knobs each row is perfect to control 4 mostly used effects in traktor.

i was considering a while back the xone 1d with my vci100 and korg zero 4, but decided to buy a pad controller instead. i use the 16 velocity pads for either loops or effects, and the pitch sliders and knobs for various things.

If you're having trouble beat matching with the VCI-100 then you probably don't have the best configuration. You can beat match perfectly against another digital track using beat grids.... And with the right configuration (say tempo bend on the jog wheel rim), you can beat match perfectly against aux sources (CDJs,etc). Don't get discouraged. I will say tho, the 1d has lots more buttons, knobs and sliders. Whether it's worth the price... I don't know.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    Right now I have a vci-100 and it simply isn't working out for me:

* crappy buttons (I know about the arcade button mod but not really interested)
    * some strange layout decisions (maybe they work for others but not for me)
    * low resolution sliders (not precise enough for perfect beatmatching. I'm starting to get really frustrated with this)
    1. The buttons are messed up at times, i agree, oh well.
    2. i dont know what you mean by the layout, no controller is perfect.
    3. i mean if you're using two decks i can see where you would feel frustrated, but if you're using 4 decks then its a different story. i never use pitch sliders with 4 decks, there are so many easier ways to beatmatch 4 decks in traktor (which is what i assume you are doing), including macro functions, master sync, and regular functions(beatsync button). if you want to control 4 decks and keep them in sync using pitch sliders, and leave out an awesome feature that traktor gives you, then thats your perogative, but i sync up all my tracks instantly using master sync cause i dont like having to worry about it so much, i just set up beat grids and then focus on effects, loops, cue point juggles, and so forth. i don't even use the pitch sliders on my vci, and i've totally remapped everything to help with 4 deck transporting and fx/looping (also with the mpd24). point is, the vci was made for two decks, to control 4 decks you have to do your own thing... but if you want to continuously monitor the bpm with the pitch sliders on 4 decks, then you might not have time for much else.

if you're just going to use 2 decks then you might want to consider the vci 300 which has better buttons and knobs, and more precise pitch sliders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast