xone 3d vs xone 4d for traktor pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default xone 3d vs xone 4d for traktor pro

thinking about getting a xone

what's the difference between 3d and 4d when it comes to traktor application

anyone using a xone 4d only with traktor? no external cdj or decks

the differences between the two are hardware oriented, specifically with the audio interface. the most relevant details for traktor use are these:

a 3D has 3 stereo usb channels routed back into the mixer, and is limited to 16/48k operation. you'll only have 3 decks of traktor up, unless you get into some third party applications to access the 4th deck through a different device.

the 4D has the same soundcard as the 2D, and thus has 4 stereo usb channels coming back into the mixer and runs at a maximum of 24/96k. it's a nice fit for traktor pro.

i have never had an interest in using timecode with traktor, so i've always run the d-series mixers by themselves... it's great.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mix architekt View Post
    the differences between the two are hardware oriented, specifically with the audio interface. the most relevant details for traktor use are these:

a 3D has 3 stereo usb channels routed back into the mixer, and is limited to 16/48k operation. you'll only have 3 decks of traktor up, unless you get into some third party applications to access the 4th deck through a different device.

the 4D has the same soundcard as the 2D, and thus has 4 stereo usb channels coming back into the mixer and runs at a maximum of 24/96k. it's a nice fit for traktor pro.

i have never had an interest in using timecode with traktor, so i've always run the d-series mixers by themselves... it's great.

thanks for the clarification!!

I was looking at your mapping for 4d on your site and noticed that the jog wheels are not used for searching?

can you explain a little bit about your mapping and how it applies to traditional style of DJing.. let's say i don't want to use sync and want to beatmatch manually using pitch slider and nudge on platter..

is the 4d and your mapping capable of emulating traditional non synced DJing?

thanks!!

hi

the idea behind this map was to create 4 decks of control to be accessible at all times with the least amount of shifting required for getting to performance functions. it also is a reflection of my own methodology in working with traktor, which is based on using sync, no time code, and lots of cue points on each track...

the reason why the jog wheels are not used for primary scrubbing is because i search tracks using cue points when previewing. i usually have at least 6 cue points per song, if not more. there is a seek/scrub function on the rotary above the left jog wheel, which allows one to get any where in the song quite quickly. that came as a suggestion from our mate milan.

the right jog wheel is for searching the file list, and the rotary above it is for scrolling the file tree. the left jog wheel isn't used rotationally, but the buttons give access to pitch bend, sync and key lock on a focused track.

i think some of the concepts in my map would be suitable for what you want to do, but some of the main controls would have to be resorted for pitch bend on the platters and the main pitch per deck on a fader...

with only two jogwheels, you'll need to decide if you want to use them in layers (which is quite easy since there's an internal midi layer shift or you could write modifiers to allow such...) or run them on a deck focus basis.

the same would need to be thought out for the pitch sliders - after using the xone:dx where the pitch is on a rotary, i would highly suggest considering that. it's a different but extremely precise feel, which allows for two adjustment levels using the push function. for instance, it's default mode could be one click = 1% and then a push and twist = a big jump...

if you end up getting a 4D and want to modify the mapping, we're always happy to help.

hey i was wondering where i could find the mapping to the xone 4d, and also would you be able to use the jog wheels to control the track as you would with a timecode or cdj?
    thanks!

ps this is my first post! and im new to this site haha

Tech Guru

the 3D is also USB 1.1, whereas the 4D is USB 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    the 3D is also USB 1.1, whereas the 4D is USB 2.0
    That would also explain the differences in the audio output and quality, given that USB 1.1 has insufficient bandwidth to run 4 stereo channels at 24/96.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

@ chilloutpod

mine are here: http://www.mixarchitekt.com/midi.html

i just updated the user guide with a lot of pictures, which should help explain things a bit.

as for manipulating tracks like a cdj or time code, there are scrub and seek functions that could be mapped to the jog whee;s, but relative to their small size, the results would be similar to a dual deck cd player.

on a different note, the seek function on the smaller rotary encoder with a high rate is surprisingly cool for quickly searching a track...

dude...thanks a million for your reply, it helped alot. i'm gettin my 4d this saturday, i had traktor, then switch to rane 57sl, dint really like the mixer OR serato..traktor is far more customizable, but that debate is for another forum, but my main concern was, since i was giving up my turntables, i was hoping to use the jog wheels AS IF they were turntables, and from your post i assume that its an easy step to take. even tho traktor gives us the chance with beat grids and syncs, i kkinda like the idea of my controlling the track my self, so hopefully when i get i can map it in a way that a) i can adjust the pitch fader b) i can manipulate the track as i would with a cdj or turntable. haha i'm stoked!!

again thanks for your reply!

for reference, the rotary encoders above the jog wheels are easy enough to map as accurate pitch controls, where one click equals a point what-ever-percent adjustment. if you check out the xone:dx map i did on my site there's an example of jogs and rotaries in a more traditional scrub and pitch setup.

it actually sounds like you may be more interested in using traktor scratch pro with the xone:4D. you can get a "certified mixer edition" of traktor scratch for a discount as a 4D owner, then use it's internal sound card to handle timecode with a proper turntable...

good luck and hope the mixer meets you well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast