How to mix pop music?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to mix pop music?

Okay. I admit. Sometimes I like to mix pop music. Don't kill me.

However, while I can mix electro and house relatively well, pop music just doesn't lend itself to smooth transitions....or so I think

Does anyone have any tips on mixing pop tracks together? Specifically any tricks you use to transition from one song to another if you want to share.

Thanks guys!

Tech Mentor

most pop music is split into sections of 16 bars usually, so a 16 bar verse, 8-16 chorus, another 16 bar verse, etc.

Tech Guru

Try to keep your transitions a bit shorter for the most part.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

set crossfade to 12 seconds in iTunes *wink* ;p
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

anyone can fade from one song to another, but I'm looking for more creative ways to mix them into each other, especially with the advantage of midi controllers

cut and slam!

Tech Guru

good tips here: cute and slam! keep it short, etc

its all about setting your songs up. Sometimes you can cut on a keyword and it sounds great. Other times I might create a quick loop on the playing song during the chorus and bring in the next song. Transition will be 4 bars. other times I might create a loop short the loop, shorten it again while bringing the next song and fade out the oringial loop. Even with a vci-100 you can do a baby scratch and bring it in on beat. use your for decks to set up a loop and transition from one pop song to the loop then to another song.

cut on a key work with an intro from the next song is probably the easiest. just keep on beat.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    cut and slam!
    If not, try and get an accapella of the next track (and maybe do some juggling) over a non vocal part of the previous track, done it a few times and it came out really well, then slam it in where you feel it works

Tech Mentor

yea thats kinda more the thing i'm talking about.

got any tips specific to juggling and working in accapellas? I can never really seem to make them fit right..

Quote Originally Posted by faeruithir View Post
    yea thats kinda more the thing i'm talking about.

got any tips specific to juggling and working in accapellas? I can never really seem to make them fit right..
    I'd usually use a part people definitely would know, like a chorus (obviously) or a chant or something, not really long vocals, just snippets really. Saves from being too caught up with bpm issues etc...
    Juggling, I tend to just grab words that fit and make a new loop with the slicer for a few bars.

It's mostly just trial and error (like every other thing in DJing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast