Using the VCI-100 to manually beatmatch

Default Using the VCI-100 to manually beatmatch

Hi,

As the title suggests, i was wondering if it is possible to use the VCI's jogwheels with the 3.4 mapping to manually beatmatch, or is it still not accurate enough?

Thanks heaps =D
    fusion

You can enough to had a bit of a mix with but no it isn't terribly accurate

Ah right, thanks heaps for your reply..

Im guessing there is no real other way to do it, without either buying a controller with 14 bit midi messages, or timecoded vinyl / cds?

Thanks heaps for your help Bento

if it's a question of accuracy you can tweak the sensitivity of the wheels in the mapping. got it feeling like my old denon cdjs (weren't great compared to some other models/makes) but they did the job

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

I bought the VCI about 8 months after it came out, and was beatmatching by ear on it for about 1.5 years.
    Co-founder, Promoter and DJ for Easy Love, an independent promotions company for dance events in Edmonton, AB.

Check out our blog for more information - www.easylovedance.com.

Default Re: Using the VCI-100 to manually beatmatch

I beatmatch with the jog wheel all the time. I have it setup in cdj mode and my pitch fader to 6% to fine tune the bpms
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Yeah, it can be a pain if you're used to cdjs/TTs, but it's totally do-able. I find that for pitch faders it works well to have them set direct to your preferred pitch range, then use a shift modifier to set them to a relative smaller range for fine adjust (maybe +/- 3%, sensitivity dependent on how much you have your larger range set to). That way you can get a general match first, then really dial it in with a shift. Add a tempo nudge backward and forward on some jogs or buttons and make sure to add a tempo slider reset somewhere in your mapping and you will be good to go!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets