MIDI question for Traktor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default MIDI question for Traktor

Hey guys

I posted this on the NI forum but got nothing in response, so I might as well bring it here.

I use Traktor 3 with a VCI-100 and I'm trying to program it to move between 4 midi pages. I've been using the black loop function buttons on the top left to do this. I programmed the output so the LED's light up depending on what MIDI page I'm on. Top is 1, then down to four broken down as:

Page 1: Decks A&B
    Page 2: Decks C&D
    Page 3: Decks A&D
    Page 4: Decks C&B

I have it programmed so switching between pages turns off previous lights, turns on the newly selected page, etc. etc.. It could work really well.

THe issue I'm running into, however, is that when I get to MIDI page 4 it locks up. It won't leave page 4, no matter what, and the LEDs start flashing randomly, while the light for 4 stays on permanently. Also, I lose control of the crossfader, which is the really odd part.

I would have no problem posting my tks doc so someone can check it out on theirs and all, but it's really weird. I've tried it with other buttons on the VCI, and on my PadKontrol, but it locks up everytime. Any one else have this problem? Any ideas? Thanks

Tech Guru

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that your page 4 message is causing a feedback loop somehow. Check to see if your output message (to trigger the LED change) is the same as your page 4 message or conflicting with another message.

Have you tried running something like MIDIHack to see what is being send and recieved?

whenever I try to install MIDI Hack it just runs my Project installer for some reason... odd.

Any idea how to get around a feedback loop like that? Should I contact NI?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Any idea how to get around a feedback loop like that? Should I contact NI?
    No. If it's a feedback loop, it's a misconfiguration on your end. Try taking out the LED feedback message for page 4 and see if it still breaks Traktor.

It would really help if you could get an idea of what is being sent and recieved. Give this a shot...

http://www.nem0nic.com/midihack.zip

You don't need to install anything, just unzip it and run the exe. You can also try MIDIOX if that still doesn't work for you.

I'll give this a shot when I get home from work :-) Thanks a lot man
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Alright, so it's a MIDI feedback loop. I turned off the LED's and it still happens. I moved the commands to my PadKontrol and it STILL happens. I'm really at a loss here. THe only thing I can think to do is set it to a HOLD command instead of TOGGLE and I really want to avoid that so I can have two hands to, y'know, mix.

Any ideas or help? Be much appreciated.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Email me your tks file and let me have a look at it.

admin@nem0nic.com

Sent away

Thanks
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

they must have enabled toggle midi pages in the new version of traktor? you could only perform hold before and i was told by the dev team that this was one of reasons.

this may be a simple solution but perhaps you could just stick to 3 pages.

a/b
    b/c
    a/c (make this page the combo deck that you would usually use)

by utilizing deck move you can move songs around so when running 3 decks that third slot will always work for you. It seems like the 4th one might not be needed really.

I went into the tks and changed the MIDI command so it will toggle. I think you change it from 2 to 3. I don't have the tks in front of me but I can check when I get home.

For now I might have to put it together to stick to three pages. I'd prefer four, of course, just for that little extra oomph, y'know? I didn't think using Deck Move, though. Will that move EQ/FX/volume and everything, or just the track?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast