Novation Launchpad or NI Maschine?

Default Novation Launchpad or NI Maschine?

hi, so i've become really interested in producing my own sounds and have become attached to ableton live, and would like to step- it up to the next level. I have some questions regarding the above mentioned midi controllers, and would like to know the differences, I've searched around, but I can't really tell what Maschine can do that launchpad can't, if anything it seems like the launchpad might be able to do more with more keys. As well, would I be able to run my Vestax controller and one of these controllers at the same time on *one laptop? As well, myself like most of you am not made of money so i'm also looking for the best cost/ benefits controller. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    I've searched around, but I can't really tell what Maschine can do that launchpad can't, if anything it seems like the launchpad might be able to do more with more keys. As well, would I be able to run my Vestax controller and one of these controllers at the same time on *one laptop?
    maschine has a 4X4 traditional velocity sensitive pad type layout along the lines of the mpc, mpd, etc.

launchpad has an 8X8 grid layout found in monome type controllers.

that the biggest hardware difference right there...one's for banging out beats and one's for triggering clips. both, given the flexible nature of midi, can be setup to do either, but you'll never get beyond the hardware limitations of the LP's pads if you're trying to use them as drum pads.

the maschine is like 3 times the cost of the LP right?

i personally think a pad type controller is more useful for production, but that doesn't mean i automatically suggest it has to be the maschine. A pad type controller the cost of the LP will work fine, given you say you're attached to live then maybe the software side of maschine wont be as strong a factor in deciding....

and yes you can use both your controllers at the same time
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

I love my LP, it compliments my setup nicely. I use it for both live and production. Depending on what I am doing, I use launchpad to trigger cues n traktor, control effects or use it to trigger samples in ableton or control ableton while passing traktor audio through it. And for the price of the LP, cant really go wrong.

On the other hand, I wouldn't so no to the maschine either

thanks, for the quick responses, I read on Native Instruments website that maschine comes with the Maschine software, but it led me to believe that it is very similar to ableton live's software, am I mislead?

Also, basically what you're saying is that Maschine is an "instrument" whereas launchpad pretty much just cues and plays already cut samples and clips?

Sorry if these sound like tedious questions just i am a pretty big noob with this stuff and was not aware of mpc's or mpd's, I mean I read the recent article about it here on djtechtools but I guess I must have been totally confused, do you use one or the other? and if so, for what do you use it for (i.e. performance or production)?

Tech Mentor

Technically they both do the same thing. They both send midi messages to your computer. The maschine sends 'velocity' data back to your computer when you hit the button as far as I am aware. So depending on how hard you press a button, the sample will play back accordingly (press it hard and the sample will be loud, press it softly and the sample will be more quiet). The LP doesn't have velocity buttons so a sample is either on or off.

Bother controllers can control samples, loops, cue's etc.

If you want to be able to have fine grain control on various parameters (things you need rotaries for) or want to have velocity control over your samples go for the maschine. If they don't matter to you, get the LP. The LP comes with a version of ableton as well which will get you started. I haven't used the NI software that comes with the maschine though so I can't comment on that.

The launchpad compliments my vci-100 nicely. You can never have enough buttons to bash!

The Maschine is velocity sensitive and as polyphonic aftertouch *droooools*

Tech Wizard

My Opinion
    If You Don't care about Hardware's Material Building... Go 4 Novaton
    If U care go for NI

I saw a lot of people say the automap Sucks But For me It's a Fastest Midi
    Communication between Soft+Hard and Hard+Hard If you Like to Program MIDI go for Novation but If you need a Looks Go For NI

Tech Guru

the LP to ableton live integration is pretty awesome. the unit is of course "cheaper" in price and obviously also in feel than maschine, but there is a pretty awesome community around LP (midikatapult.com, nonome aka monome software port to the LP) .. but i have no doubt there is an active, albeit smaller community, around the maschine too.

now where are the differences? LP has way more buttons and they are multi colored. maschine's buttons are much higher quality and velocity sensitive. plus you get additional knobs and 2 displays. on top of that the maschine software allows you to do some really fancy sampling magic plus you get a few GB's worth of samples, where as on the LP you get about 1GB of loopmasters loops (which is pretty much what they throw around to anyone who bundles loopmaster loops with their product). the software also works as a VST, so you can integrate it into live.

furthermore you can expect NI to integrate maschine more and more into Traktor Pro as well. for LP you might want to check out midikatapult.com which is an automap replacement that pushes the use cases of the LP to new levels.

anyways, i went with the LP for the following reasons:
    - the LP is cheaper and i was just starting to play around with live
    - i liked having more buttons and the multi colored buttons to get more visual feedback as the 2 small screens on the maschine seem nice in the studio maybe, but not when performing live
    - i don't really trust NI (*) to do the right thing for me as a consumer and with midikatapult and nonome i saw other people pushing the LP into new dimensions
    - if i need velocity sensitivity or knobs i just use my LPD8
    - LPD8 and LP together are still more portable than the maschine

(*) that being said, they have already released a major software update to 1.1 and are currently in beta for 1.5, so NI does seem to put in a fair bit of work to improve the existing hardware. but i have a gut feeling that the traktor pro integration in the end will work best once they released an updated version of their hardware. no evidence to proof that, besides the fact that it has taken them so long to release a real integration solution. then again the stumbling block might just be the Traktor Pro software release cycle.
    Last edited by lsmith; 03-07-2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

man thanks so much guys, you've really helped me out a lot. I think i'll go for the Launchpad since it is cheaper, seems more portable and integration with Live. Maybe when I get into some more advanced producing i'll be needing the velocity pushbuttons and all that stuff, but it doesn't really look like some of the features on the maschine are going to be useful for what I want to do right now.

Can't forget about the trippy colours on the launchpad!! haha no but really...

thanks a bundle.
    Last edited by bmo; 03-07-2010 at 09:42 AM.