Time for a new laptop! Hooray!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I might be wrong but i was under the impression running audio apps wasn't that majorly RAM intensive.

Video and graphics ie larger files really need the extra oomph.

I agree that the solidness of the operating system is probably more of an issue and mac's pip that.

Ie a 2GB macbook will be plenty and a 4gb mac mini will also be rock solid
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

I always laugh at people who say not to believe the "hype" about Mac stability. It's a simple matter of a streamlined hardware/software solution - you gain more stability when you build an OS in which hardware to centric to the OS, not the other way around. Windows OS has it's issues because it has to maintain it's adaptability for all sorts of hardware configurations, but that's not at all to say it's an inferior OS. I've had my share of shit crashing on Mac OSX, but truth be told, if you look and pay attention closely, those are purely due to the quality of programming on the third party behalf, not the OS itself.

Also - MCSE, CCNA, A+, Net+, and Security+ certified tech here who owns both a unibody MacBook Pro, and a PC laptop. My views are based on experience and knowledge, not favoritism and bias against advertising.

The truth is, there is no way to idiot proof a computer. But if you are getting infected with shit on Mac OSX, it's a PEBCAK error (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard). In other words - don't be a moron with your computer usage. Same goes for Windows, it's all about exercising common sense - and while that won't protect you 100% of the time, knowing what you are investing money into, going out of your way to know how it works, and treating it right will cover your ass a good portion of the time.

Would you accept candy from a stranger in an alleyway?. No, so why would you torrent programs and assume they're safe, or visit questionable websites and assume there is no ramification.

Lots of good points - but this thread is about getting the best spec'd machine for £500...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Sorry, got derailed by other posts lol.

By your requirements then, which is about $750, your best bet then is a PC laptop then (for $850, you can buy a refurbished MacBook from Apple's store, if it's a route you're interested in).

My recommendation would be to buy an ODM laptop, which is a way better value than an OEM. ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) is basically where an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer: Dell, HP, etc) gets their product from. You get it prior to OS install, bloatware, and a sketchy warranty inflating the price. A good portion of Sony Vaio laptops are actually Clevo laptops.

You also get to specify everything like the CPU, RAM, etc. I recommend this place:

http://www.rjtech.com/

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!! Great recommendation - much appreciated!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    PC's using windows will be running a lot more programs (without you realising) just to make it work, whereas a mac does not do this.
    I suggest you enter this in a Terminal window:
    Code:
    ps ax
    Back OTT : if you want to spend ~500 on a decent laptop, it may not be too easy to get one with a decent discrete graphics chip which uses its own RAM. You may have seen recommendations for this type of system for digital audio purposes, which is why I'm bringing this up.

Tech Guru

No prob, I'm not sure what rjtech offer these days (and by these days, I mean that the last time I checked was 5 months ago), but they should still offer some nice Core 2 Duo CPU's at a discount since the Core i(x) processors are on the rise.

Should you not find something there which meets your hardware and price requirements, there's always good ol' newegg.com which offers deals as well:

For laptops in the price range of $500-$750

For laptops in the price range of $750-$1000

Those are even more options. My recommendation would be to sort the results by "Best Rating", which will give some great bang-for-the-buck options which are then backed up by buyer feedback. It pays to read the reviews so you know if any laptop you're about to buy has some off quirks which you weren't aware of prior to purchase.

Also, once you have actually decided which laptop you want, I would recommend going to the manufacturer website, and checking if they provide Windows 7 drivers. You would be surprised how often places only provide Vista and XP drivers, they can get lazy.

Once you have confirmed they offer drivers, if you have any technical expertise, I would recommend wiping the hard drive clean when you get it, and installing Windows 7 from scratch to remove all the crap on it which the factory installs. Then proceed with guides on tweaking and customizing Windows 7 for better performance.

Okay - I've found a machine I like - check it out:

Product Description - Sony VAIO VGN-FW31E - Core 2 Duo T6400 2 GHz - 16.4" TFT
    Dimensions (WxDxH) - 38.4 cm x 26.1 cm x 3.7 cm
    Weight - 3.1 kg
    Platform Technology - Intel Centrino
    System Type - Notebook
    Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory - 2 MB - L2 Cache
    RAM - 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
    Card Reader - Yes
    Hard Drive - 400 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Display - 16.4" TFT 1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) - X-black
    Graphics Controller - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 - 256 MB
    Audio Output - Sound card
    Telecom - Fax / modem
    Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad
    Battery - Lithium Ion
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Only thing that really bothers me is that it's built on Centrino. Should this be a concern?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Okay - I've found a machine I like - check it out:

Product Description - Sony VAIO VGN-FW31E - Core 2 Duo T6400 2 GHz - 16.4" TFT
    Dimensions (WxDxH) - 38.4 cm x 26.1 cm x 3.7 cm
    Weight - 3.1 kg
    Platform Technology - Intel Centrino
    System Type - Notebook
    Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory - 2 MB - L2 Cache
    RAM - 4 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM ( 2 x 2 GB )
    Card Reader - Yes
    Hard Drive - 400 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Display - 16.4" TFT 1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) - X-black
    Graphics Controller - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 - 256 MB
    Audio Output - Sound card
    Telecom - Fax / modem
    Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad
    Battery - Lithium Ion
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Only thing that really bothers me is that it's built on Centrino. Should this be a concern?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A MAC
    I'm assuming you'll get rid of vista and bump that up to windows 7 right?

And Centrino is just a marketing term to identify certain combinations of cpu and wireless adapter.
    People see it and sometimes think that means 'celeron' which isn't the case.

looks like a solid build otherwise

That Centrino statement you made makes sense! I thought that Centrino was a step down from Pentium - but that's Celeron, right???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast