Crowd Interaction while Dj'ing!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Crowd Interaction while Dj'ing!!!

Hey DJTechtoolers

I got a question for you all as its something i really want to work on and am curious as to how everyone else does this!

Performing on stage while dj'ing! im not talking about how you structure your set but more along the lines of how do you interact with your crowd while you are playing? Its definitely something iv been trying to work on but im just really curious as to how everyone goes about this? Do you just jump up and down when the massive tune is about to drop? Do you wear crazy costumes while you perform! Do you do the jesus pose or just wave your arms around like crazy haha what ever floats your boat i want to know

Crowd interaction is definitely one of those weak spots i notice most dj's have as they dont really put much effort into interacting with the crowd.. but you know straight away when you get a dj who interacts with the crowd cause they just get the place pumping! So lets get as many opinions as we can on what kinda things you all do to get that crowd going!! Maybe we can all learn a thing or 2 off each other and really up our Dj sets!

Cheers in advance guys
    Ben
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Tech Guru

This is a much needed topic for discussion. This to me is what's going to set apart you from the other DJ's even if your just doing simple mixing with your tracks. I had the idea of taking the guitar hero controller out to the crowd and letting them bang out the buttons with some cue points. Quantize on of course.

Tech Guru

It's a great way of relating to the crowd, everyone knows what guitar hero is and it will blow their minds that your somehow playing a song with the guitar.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

We've talked about this a few times but it's been a while, so here goes.

I dance while I DJ. Mainly because I'm having fun. Also, my theory is that if the crowd sees me making a fool of myself they'll be more likely to be comfortable making a fool of themselves. I have definitely done stupid shit and seen people start laughing and then start dancing.

I'll sing along with the songs, do weird poses, and headbang the night away, mainly because I'm having a good time and want to be into it. I think it does have an affect on the crowd, and will bring about a sort of interaction with the dance floor.

And besides, DJs who look bored are usually boring DJs.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I know when you are starting out you want to do a good job with the mixing side of things ... maybe you are nervous and not so confident with your skills yet. Forget all that. If the crowd see you are enjoying yourself as well as bringing the magic, they will feed off you mate and everyone will have a much better night. Even if you are just nodding your head or headbutting things if you are playing DA's type of tunes
    I usually dance like a nutter while playing all the time, and more often than not shit gets spilled, but hey! I think an average skilled dj that has awesome interaction skills is better than a technically superior dj who just stands there with his finger up his butt.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

yeah dj enthusiasm makes a whole lot of difference! there was a party with a lineup of girl djs from ministry of sound (dj rap, theresa and inna k), although their sets themselves didnt totally blow my mind, they were dancing and jumping and their fabulous enthusiasm won me over. i had a great time just watching them shake it and pump up the crowd. theresa even had some live percussion going on. but then again there are some djs that overdo it. this is just my humble opinion, but i swear danny tenaglia spends more time on the foghorn and basking in his fans adoration than the actual playing part lol... but i guess he has already earned that right

Banned

Just move and groove to the music, look over the crowd often with a smile and just have fun with it.

No need to to do anything over the top because it just turns into a gimmick at that point and that's no fun.

You want crowd interaction? Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo77GR9XOSc

Nothing but you, the crowd and a 909. Talk about living on the edge, you'd have to have some large metal ones to pull this off.

Tech Guru

What the hell is he using?
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Scan 7 does a great live show!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nMzo8jkBk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast