What Voltage LED's do i buy

Default What Voltage LED's do i buy

I have read all the threads i can find on the Led Mod subject and have gleaned that i need 3mm LED's but when ordering there are 5V 12V etc. What do i go for?

5 volt leds are the easiest to use on a usb controller (usb puts out 5v), but they do seem to go very bright. A lot of leds come at 3v standard. If you use these, you must remember to put a 330 ohm resistor in series with the led, otherwise it could blow the led.
    Last edited by Archies'bald; 03-10-2010 at 07:21 PM.

OK so lets get this right. If i want to achieve bright led's without having to add a resistor i need to get 5V?

Also when you say 5V is that the forward voltage or the reverse voltage?

It all depends on what you are doing with the LEDs. Are you adding them to an existing set up or starting from new? Are you replacing old LEDs with different coloured ones?

As far as forward and reverse voltage goes, I'm sorry I don't have a clue. I'm very much a beginner at this too.

The 5v LED's I have installed in my new build are easy to fit and you don't need a resistor for, but if they are going to be shining anywhere near your eye-line you could find them very distracting. As far as I'm aware, most people fit the 3v ones with a 330 ohm resistor.

I just want to change the existing LED's on my VCI 100 for brighter different coloured ones. What do you think? 5V sounds easier if i dont have to bother with the resistor.

I believe the VCI-100 uses 3mm 3.3v LED's. That's what I read on another thread somewhere here, the guy phoned vestax for that info.

I just bought some 3mm 3.2 forward Voltage white flat led's off ebay. I have no idea about circuitry so I hope they work lol. :eek: