Linux Problems ... n00b
    Tech Mentor

Default Linux Problems ... n00b

ok guys i've decided i wanna run linux on my laptop as its just better than windows 7.

Anyone gots any suggestions as to what to use ? i'm a complete n00b so as much help as possible wud be very very helpful

You mean as far as DJ stuff is concerned ?

These isn't much actually.

For softwares there is Mixx (www.mixxx.org) and Ultramixer (www.ultramixer.com). Both are multiplatform (PC, MAC, LINUX).

For hardware, a lot of controller are working using USB standard driver, so that's not too bad, but then you have to find a soundcard that will work fine for DJ applications ( i.e. at least 4 outputs). Hercules is the only one that I know of that has released driver support for their controller line.
    The Phat One

Linux is not for n00bs.. Sorry to tell you but using linux will probably mean spending hours behind a command line interface .. lol (?)

Are you a noob dj or noob in linux?

If you are a noob dj I would tell you that things are going to be harder if you go with linux for djing. Hard to get any djing software running and no no driver or software support either. Things will be very hard.

If you are a noob in linux, I would recommend the last version of Ubuntu.

Linux will require that you handle much more IT related knowledge. If you are not familiar with it it will take some time.

No linux build will have more support and will do "everything" for you as windows does. "Stating that is just better" is a statement I would expect from someone with tons of IT experience and unix coding.

Tech Mentor

Oook so thats linux out of the question

Whats the best way to improve windows 7 performance for dj'ing ?

Quote Originally Posted by mixmonster5 View Post
    Oook so thats linux out of the question

Whats the best way to improve windows 7 performance for dj'ing ?
    M8 it is not very different from optimizing XP. I had great results following the guide I posted some time ago here:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2728

As I sayed it is ment for XP, but the most important steps are the same for both.

Cheers

You can use WINE to run traktor, I believe. http://www.winehq.org/

i don't think you'd be very happy with the performance of using wine to run traktor in linux.

linux has some interesting production stuff but aside from mixxx and xwax it's kinda of limited for dj software.

i think the way to integrate linux is to dual boot. use linux for web, etc. use windows partition only for music work, and have windows streamlined for that use.

try the artistX distro if you want easy.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk