Digital DJ'ing and PA systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Digital DJ'ing and PA systems

Hey guys, i've been thinking about picking up a VCI-100 and the mappings/fw when I can afford it, but I have a few questions. How do you guys meter and output sound to your PA system, i run xlr outs from my mixer to my pa, but with an audio interface most of them are line level out -10db, where pa amps take +4db. I know it will work but it will be alot quieter. I know there are interfaces with louder balanced outs, but there are only a few, and some without headphone amps. I'm liking the price and size of the audio 2 dj, i know the outs aren't balanced but apparently they go to 8db, if i were to go this route, how would i meter my sound? Isn't the meter in tracktor pre out?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by shaneB View Post
    Hey guys, i've been thinking about picking up a VCI-100 and the mappings/fw when I can afford it, but I have a few questions. How do you guys meter and output sound to your PA system, i run xlr outs from my mixer to my pa, but with an audio interface most of them are line level out -10db, where pa amps take +4db. I know it will work but it will be alot quieter. I know there are interfaces with louder balanced outs, but there are only a few, and some without headphone amps. I'm liking the price and size of the audio 2 dj, i know the outs aren't balanced but apparently they go to 8db, if i were to go this route, how would i meter my sound? Isn't the meter in tracktor pre out?
    I run the outs from the Audio 2 into a mixer and onto the rig from there, gives you flexibility over channel control, either in internal or external mixer mode and thence more flex over output volumes as you can amp it from the application, the audio 2 levels and the mixer levels so you aren't driving anything too hard in the chain, seems to work for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by darryljames View Post
    I run the outs from the Audio 2 into a mixer and onto the rig from there, gives you flexibility over channel control, either in internal or external mixer mode and thence more flex over output volumes as you can amp it from the application, the audio 2 levels and the mixer levels so you aren't driving anything too hard in the chain, seems to work for me anyway.

This ^
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

I wannted to avoid that, but I allready haver a mixer and a serato box so I cold go that route. The the ponit of gong digital controler based for me is to cu down on the gear I take to gigs. I'm looking for an interface with balanced outs and a meter, I know the knotrol 6 has this but I don't have FireWire

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I wannted to avoid that, but I allready haver a mixer and a serato box so I cold go that route. The the ponit of gong digital controler based for me is to cu down on the gear I take to gigs. I'm looking for an interface with balanced outs and a meter, I know the knotrol 6 has this but I don't have FireWire
    You mean the Konnekt 6, right ? Seems to be a nice product. Any experiences ?
    Xone 22 -- Kontrol X1 -- A4DJ -- TPro -- 13" MBP

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy View Post
    You mean the Konnekt 6, right ? Seems to be a nice product. Any experiences ?
    Yeah thats what I ment, no i dont own it, but it looks perfect for what i want. It has balanced out's and a meter / headphone amp, problom is that I'm about to order a new laptop and all the options i have don't include firewire . I need to find a usb solution. The other issue witht he konnekt 6 is that it requires an ext. power supply i believe. I wish i could run the audio 2 directly to my PA system, then i would save of space/weight/money.

Tech Mentor

hmm the "PRESONUS AUDIOBOX USB" looks good, it has balanced outs and a headphone amp, usb bus powered. The only thing is how would i meter it? If im in a club or anywhere with a legit pa setup there with be a mixer to do that with. I'm looking for a solution for my b52 matrix-1000, so i can stay as light as possible and not have to bring around my mixer too. In the future i want to get 2 tapco thumps and just use those for house parties, as they are light as small, yet still have some power for a small gig. Anyways.. hows the metering in tacktor, will that work? Say i'm going trs out of the audiobox to xlr in on my pa, with my volume set at 50% on the amp (as rec. by b52). Hmm i could also look into some sore of external meter / eq device that i just give it -10 line lvl outputs and it amps it to +4 dbu, then i can just get away with my serato box possibly, then again the serato box can't drive my headphones loud.

The Audiobox isn't able to cue headphones
    13" MacBook, VCI-100SE, Audio 2 DJ

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by audioPoison View Post
    The Audiobox isn't able to cue headphones
    seems like the audio2dj might be one of my only options, i need to find something with usb, headphone amp / separate out, and balanced +4dbu audio, so a 4 output sound card. Have you tried running the audio2dj straight to a PA system?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Most of my gigs are in bars with installed kit, so it's easier to plug into their gear rather than bugger about with it.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast