Ableton questions from a previous traktor user
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Ableton questions from a previous traktor user

Hi guys,

I'm new to ableton and working on my setup. I have the NanoKontrol and NanoPad and I have some questions: I want to toggle effects on and off and I want to map it to the Nanokey, because than I have the turningknob on the same controller. However, I want to toggle the effect on/off, and right now I'm only able of holding it on. How can this be changed?
    Question 2. : In Traktor, when the filter is in the middle, the song plays normal and turning it to the left makes it lower and to the right higher. In Ableton, you have different versions of the filter, but by none of them you have that when you set the knob in the middle, the song is normal. When the filter is on, the song is immediatly affected. Is there any form of filter that you can leave on and where you can adjust it to the lower side aswell as to the higher side or is it one or another?
    Question 3: In traktor you have a master deck and then you can sync the other deck to the bpm of the master deck. In ableton you have some sort of masterbpm, which makes that every song plays with that bpm. Is it possible to assign audio A as master and sync B with it and maybe change that during a set, so that you can build up the bpm or do I have to do this in another way?

I hope you guys can help me. I think I will have to keep bumping this topic with new problem I will encounter, I'm sorry for that
    Anyway: thanks for your time and help

EDIT: oh, a new question immediatly: How do you save your mapping?
    Last edited by Anti-Held; 03-12-2010 at 03:50 AM.

1)If you want it to toggle then you need to config your controller to send note on/off data instead of CC data.

Notes will toggle while CC data will act like a hold function - so(in order of least to most tricky) you need to rather change the messages the controller sends using the software that came with it, use a midi translator like bomes, or use M4L and code this functionality.

2) As for your filter, i made a filter in M4L that does just this but its only available for m4l users. You CAN do this in Ableton alone but its tricky, timeconsuming and its a cpu/ram monster - essentially you load up 127. instances of a filter inside of a effects rack all on different chains, then map a knob to the chain button, a very crude solution indeed.

3) Read section 9.2.1 of the manual labeled Tempo Master/Slave for info on this, here is the first couple paragraphs on the matter:

"All warped clips in the Arrangement View have one further option: They can be dened as
    tempo masters by toggling their Master/Slave switches. Any number of clips can be set as
    tempo masters, but only one clip at a time can actually be the tempo master. This distinction
    is always granted to the bottom-most, currently playing clip in the Arrangement View.
    The clip that is the current tempo master will play as if warping was off, but with one
    important difference  the rest of the Live Set will be warped so that it plays in sync with the
    current tempo master."

4) Your mappings are saved when you save the project file -theres no function like in Traktor to save a midi mapping separate from the setup.

Tech Wizard

with the mapping just start a new set, set up everything you need, map it then save it as 'midimap' then this will be what you use every time you start a new set and everything will be mapped. If you want to save it just do a 'save as' and call it something different so when u want start a new set you can just load the 'midimap' one.

Tech Mentor

Tarekith's DJ Effects rack has a filter called Twister filter. It works same way as you described the Traktor one.
    @Twumpy

Tech Wizard

also check abletonlivedj.com i have been using it for bout 7 months now and never needed to post. just search and most new user questions have already been asked. check out jeremy jives eq8 as well its awesome.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Tarekith's DJ Effects rack has a filter called Twister filter. It works same way as you described the Traktor one.
    Where can I find this?

Tech Mentor
    @Twumpy

Tech Convert

I've extracted the files to my HD, but i don't know how to import them into Ableton, can someone explain to me how?
    Last edited by Anti-Held; 03-11-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Tarekith's filter works the same way i described in my original post (except with a lower knob resolution as he isnt using as many instances of the filter). Its a very crude and not very resource friendly approach - but it works

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Tarekith's filter works the same way i described in my original post (except with a lower knob resolution as he isnt using as many instances of the filter). Its a very crude and not very resource friendly approach - but it works
    Thanks, I have it working now, however I can't select any of the Tarekith effects in Ableton. I think i'll just have to drag them into the programm. I don't understand your answer to question one, can you please explain? I've read on other forums that is should change the behaviour of a button in Korg Kontrol Editor, but that doesn't work, because the program doesn't detect my hardware for some reason.
    I also made a big mistake in my first post:
    I have a NanoKontrol, not a NanoKey. I've edited that now.
    Thanks a lot for your help, it is much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast