Traktor response Time
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor response Time

Hi

Ever since i have started using traktor and buying some midi devices such as the akai MPD24 i have always had problems with its reaction time. I mean ive watched many videos on DJTT as well as on youtube of people switching between hotcues rapidly as soon as there finger hits the pad for instance. however for me its almost like its delayed sometime and when i try to do fast repeated cue jumps its out of sync and does not respond to all of my pad hitting. I have tryed high quality usb cables and still im getting this problem. Sometimes when im hitting the pads it plays a bit before the actual cue making it sound stupid and i have refused to even attempt any cue juggling or any majoy cue jumping whilst playing live in the thought of me looking worse rather than better.

does anyone know how i can improve the response time from my mpd24 to traktor. At most i wouldm have 3 midi controllers linked up at one time and that the very most but this even happens when i onli have the one linked up to it. Its really holding me back as a controllerist as i now dont even bother trying to practice any fast paced cue jumping in tracks because it just makes me feel worse about my self as a dj even know i know its down to something.

anyone have any tips on what it could be or how to improve speed time. also what could affect it such as ram of my computer etc

thanks

What soundcard are you using ?

You need to be using low latency ASIO drivers and not high latency WDM drivers - id put money on that your probably using WDM drivers which cause a terrible amount of latency.

if your using your internal sound then download asio4all drivers here - http://www.asio4all.com/

Better yet, head to our webstore and buy an NI soundcard i you dont already have a soundcard

The reason your cues are popping is because your syncing the track to the master track. If you take sync off, you'll have much better responsiveness from your pads
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

I'm using an Audio 8 so i couldnt see that being the problem. TBH i wouldnt even have a clue how to find out what kind of drivers im using wether they are low or high latency. Is there anyway i can check?

i checked taking the sync of and it does help a bit alrite thanks for the tip.i always had it on just to keep things smooth yet it created more hassle lol

another problem im having is audio bleaking out for like a second or so when im playing on it like the computers on over load even when i have onli traktor and itunes running. this was never a problem in the past for me and is very annoying. Could this be to do with Ram space??

check your latency with this tool:
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Also, read the whole page, it has some useful tips regarding latency on it.

You could try using quantize to help keep your cues in time. But this will also start the cue behind the marker if your a bit too keen. The best way to handle hot cues is to have your timing nailed, that only comes with practice.

As for your pc dropping audio, i too have had these problems. You need to isolate what is making it drop out. Bring up your OS performance/resource monitor while your playing. If you see peaks in either RAM usage or CPU usage when it pops then thats your problem. If not, it could be windows (i assume your using windows) re-allocating resources somewhere else.
    I would start by optimising your PC, theres plenty of guides out there. Also, ditch itunes. Why would you have it open when youre using a DVS with a browser?

I too use an MPD24, are you using the buttons on full level mode? This should help. Also, I'd recommend using Ean's midi fighter mapping for the MPD, its changed the way I play music & use traktor, for the better.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    check your latency with this tool:
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Also, read the whole page, it has some useful tips regarding latency on it.

You could try using quantize to help keep your cues in time. But this will also start the cue behind the marker if your a bit too keen. The best way to handle hot cues is to have your timing nailed, that only comes with practice.

As for your pc dropping audio, i too have had these problems. You need to isolate what is making it drop out. Bring up your OS performance/resource monitor while your playing. If you see peaks in either RAM usage or CPU usage when it pops then thats your problem. If not, it could be windows (i assume your using windows) re-allocating resources somewhere else.
    I would start by optimising your PC, theres plenty of guides out there. Also, ditch itunes. Why would you have it open when youre using a DVS with a browser?

I too use an MPD24, are you using the buttons on full level mode? This should help. Also, I'd recommend using Ean's midi fighter mapping for the MPD, its changed the way I play music & use traktor, for the better.
    thanks for the advice man but Im using a mac so some of the stuff you just said kinda went over my head. i know my ot cueing isnt perfected but taking off sync solved the problem which i was having of not being able to play the hotcues to the extent i wanted to.

i dont know why i usually have itune up but sometime i find it easier to browse in it because of the colour or something. plus i just used itunes as an example its not necessary i have it up when im playing but i think that you should be able to run a couple of programs while traktor being on without audio drop outs for instance ableton etc. I would just like to see the problem and whats causing it so i can improve it as i can count the number of times ive used traktor djing in a club with one hand unfortunately (played at alot of house partys though) because im not fully confident with it yet even though i have had it a year there are just we glitches i dont want to ruin my set with and tarnish my name.

As for teh MDP24 i dont know what you mean by full level. Can u care to explain. I got this at christmas as a present for myself sadly enough and its i have no time to realli use it yet because i have been snowed under with work and university but im finding alot of time now which is why im trying to get tot eh bottom of everything. i really want to get eans mapping for this. i will have a look for it. Thanks for all the advice

Tech Guru

if you are using a fairly knew mac, there shouldnt be that much of a problem. By full level mode, he means do you have the settings on the MPD to full, meaning it takes the hardest hit to get a full 127 midi note (the max). I dont own an MPD, but I was hoping that these settings would be changeable on the LPD8 (nope). You need to do a little googling to find out how to change those settings. If you lower them, they will work more like arcade buttons, but since you are using it with traktor, thats not an issue, cause velocity sensitive isnt necessary.