American Audi vms4

Default American Audi vms4

what up everyone...anyways..been lookin at all of these new controllers out there...so many to choose from...vci..dx.vms4...

anyways..i "had" a vci 100--but sold it and thought i was gonna swoop on a xone 4d...but then the dx starts shipping..then i do some research and find this american audio product the vms4...it kind of caught my eye..as did the dx..

i am sure the dx has a great build coming from a&h..but i wanted to know if anyone has messed around with the american audio vms4? hows the build quality? the sound? i see it has a built in sound interface--so just wondering on the sound..aspect of it since that is one less peice to carry ( soundcard )..

anyways any input flames encouragement are welcome

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

dude that american audi looks dope! dunno if itīs any worth djing with

(sorry had to do this)

as for the controller...this thing looks dope too and the price is also good! 400 €! itīs cheaper than the vci100 (1.2) and has a lot more knobs and faders... dunno what the soundcard quality is like but if i was you i would give it a go. if it sucks you could still sell it.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

This is my sort of ominous comparison between the two on different points, but anyhow...

I'll be honest, ones priced three times less for a reason, and I'm willing to bank the sound card on the VMS4 didn't survive the "price cut knife" so to speak. But hey, if that were a deal killer, why are people still paying almost $1000 for a VCI-300?.

Push comes to shove, when it comes to sound quality, I'd gladly pay the premium for the Allen & Heath DX given that the company is renowned for it's quality, unlike American Audio. It also weights alot less than the VMS4 from what I can tell, and the fact that it can work with both Itch and Traktor is a great bonus, and gives plenty of options. Also, the faders on the DX are really nice. My biggest gripes though about the unit is that they didn't put pitch faders on it (but I understand why they did on a more technical note, as have come to appreciate it), and the lack of touch sensitive platter, which for me, is somewhat of a deal killer.

Now that isn't to say that the VMS4 is inferior in every way, cause if that were the case, why doesn't the Xone DX have touch sensitive platters?. Also, the price for a big tankish all-in-one interface is very nice, and I commend American Audio for taking this route and offering a product like it.

Some people gripe that the controller has "too many" controls, which makes me laugh considering that I would prefer that over too little control options. Hell, it even has a mouse pad and touch strips, which is really nifty.

While some would argue that quality wise, they don't compare - I would say they are different beasts which have separate takes on what users want, both of which are worthy candidates for a person in the market, depending n their wallet obviously.

I just stare at the vms4 thinking about all of the mapping possibilities...those vertical touch strips...oh boy

Although the DX is no doubt a higher quality product and will have a better internal sound card...this review pretty much made me lose interest in the DX.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEA67...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    Although the DX is no doubt a higher quality product and will have a better internal sound card...this review pretty much made me lose interest in the DX.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEA67...eature=related
    How did that review make you lose interest?

The cue point buttons just seemed to not have any play as ean pointed out and I really like to work my cues, it just seemed like it would make it difficult. The second thing is the tiny non-touch sensitive jog wheels, although I'm not a scratch dj sometimes its nice to be able to throw a little scratch into a mix, especially if I'm at home fooling around sometimes I like to pretend like I am a scratch DJ haha. Anyways, I know it's a much better product than the vms4 will most likely be but, it just didn't suit my personal preferences. It may suit someone else's very well, it was just my two cents

I guess it would also be important for me to mention I am not planning on using either the vms4 or the dx as a mixer with cdj's or tables, just looking at them as an all in one product. I just sold my vci-100 and midifighter and those were my first and only pieces of dj equipment so thats where my input comes from...if I had cdjs or tables I would go with the dx I suppose