Advice on Evolution UC-33e mapping for Traktor Pro
    Tech Student

Default Advice on Evolution UC-33e mapping for Traktor Pro

First time poster, long time reader.

Some unnecessary background info...
    I'm doing my first live gig soon at a college. Nothing too special. Every Friday and Saturday students who sign up can play some tunes outside while everyone gets drunk and have a good time. My friend got a slot and decided to hand it over to me after my nonstop complaints of people mostly using randomized iTunes playlists and poor song selections.

My set-up will be as followed:
    1st Macbook running Max/MSP Jitter controlled by M-Audio Trigger Finger for visuals
    2nd Macbook running Traktor Pro controlled by Evolution UC-33e for audio
    I'm trying to come up with an intuitive layout for my UC-33e mapping but I'm drawing a blank for certain spots. I'm not much of a controllerist/beat juggler. Simple crossfades, a couple hard slams, a dash of effects here or there to spice things up or help with BPM/genre transitions. Sparse use of looping, mostly for extending a short intro or outro for slow deck fades.

Here's a quick demo if anyone needs a better idea of my (amateur) style, with transitions marked:
    http://soundcloud.com/cud-nylon/dj-c...s-justice-cuts
    *note* made this for my friend as a proof-of-concept, not as a sampling of my personal taste */note*

And this is the layout I've come up with so far, with unsure spots marked with question marks and possible choices:

So to summarize: if you were mapping for this controller, what would you use the empty spots for?

Banned

I would focus on making you you can control the transport section of decks A and B before you start focusing on the FX.

So you would need the play/pause for decks A/B, then the loop on/off plus loop size (+/-) and finally headphone cue, and this assumes you'll be beat gridding your tunes and not have to worry about using the nudge buttons.

So that brings the total to at least five buttons per deck so that leaves us with ten buttons that we need to use at least without the help of a modifier. You can obviously use the master fader for the master volume on the internal mixer, and then use the two free faders for the headphone cue (one for headphone level and then headphone mix).

Hope this gives you a bit more insight on how to set this up.

Tech Guru

This is my mapping for my UC-33e. keep in mind I also make use of hotkeys and an additional midi keyboard for other control parameters within the software that are not listed on this UC-33e setup.

Knobs C26 to C29 Control Highs for Decks A,B,C,D
    Knobs C18 to C21 Control Mids for Decks A,B,C,D
    Knobs C10 to C13 Control Lows for Decks A,B,C,D
    Faders F1 to F4 Control Channel Volume for Decks A,B,C,D

Knobs C30 to C33 Control FX for Deck A
    Knobs C22 to C25 Control FX for Deck B
    Knobs C14 to C17 Control FX for Deck C
    Faders F5 to F8 Control FX for Deck D

Fader F9 Controls the Crossfader

Tech Student

thanks for the tips. i think i might use the 4 preset hotkeys to change up what the buttons are doing as well, or just make a shift button.