Business Cards arent enough.
    Tech Convert

Default Business Cards arent enough.

i got into a good discussion with a friend of mine recently about business cards and how they dont really stand out as far as a business promotional tool anymore. Even if it is a crazy foldable, inflatable, self destructing card. It still will get lost in the shuffle as "another business card". Our Idea was to transform the business card idea itself. I came up with two ideas. They are not groundbreaking but i have not seen them applied to the DJ profession.

personalized Matches. I love matches and everytime i use them i am reminded of the company/Restaurant/Bar that is advertised on them. I dont smoke but i use them for candles, incense, and for work. For DJing I think matches are great. they remind me of youth and of partying. They would be ideal for soft promotion. I wouldnt want to give matches to someone in the big time. but when your just trying to get your name out there it could be decent. You can DYI also. Im going to print off mini business cards to attach to the 50 pack of dollar store matches that i got for $2. i might even use a fancy cardstock for the paper.

Self contained press kit. This would be for the big timer. someone that you really wanted to impress. a container i thought would be great is a hollowed out shotgun shell with a mini card and a USB drive within. the shell would have a simple logo on it as well. of course the USB drive would have a mix as well as HTML links and pics. The shotgun shell is an example so of course the container ideas are endless. The smaller the profile, the better though. Nobody really likes to get CD sized items. You want something that wont get broke in your pocket and make you look like you are happy to see someone. USB drives are so cheep but u wouldnt want to give one out to everyone. give them matches instead, or a real business card if that seems like a better idea.

your Ideas/opinions?
    music. chicago stuff. food. blog links.
    www.blah-dow.blogspot.com

The idea of matches sounds really interesting. I'm no smoker either, but having them in social situations is always a plus. Only thing is, they seem to be quite expensive.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

One interesting thing, that works really well for this profession, is the CD Business card.

example here: http://www.cdfx.com/newsite/cdbusinesscards.php

Comcard 9

Size (mm): 56 x 86
    Capacity: 50 MB

It's something I've thought about, and you could include a mix on there if you were so inclined, giving your information and some tunes of your trade.

They still aren't cheap, but it's a professional thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    One interesting thing, that works really well for this profession, is the CD Business card.

example here: http://www.cdfx.com/newsite/cdbusinesscards.php

Comcard 9

Size (mm): 56 x 86
    Capacity: 50 MB

It's something I've thought about, and you could include a mix on there if you were so inclined, giving your information and some tunes of your trade.

They still aren't cheap, but it's a professional thing.
    surely that's just a really expensive version of just burning your mixes at home and putting all your info on the face of the disc?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Well yes and no. It's the whole point that it's the size of a business card, rather than the size of a full cd. A bit different and wallet friendly.

Banned

Here's an idea for a USB business card, am going to be getting these made up in time for WMC I hope.

http://www.relymedia.com/usb-category.php?cat=Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Here's an idea for a USB business card, am going to be getting these made up in time for WMC I hope.

http://www.relymedia.com/usb-category.php?cat=Cards
    I looked into these... but haven't found something that is inexpensive enough and still an interesting size to warrant the cost....

I already drop over $1000 for promotional items during WMC... but if I found something that was the right price i would do a USB item....

Banned

Depends on the the size and how many colours you need I guess, but I understand what you're saying