Brainstorm to get good scratchbehaviour for non-touchsensitive jogwheels
    Tech Wizard

Default Brainstorm to get good scratchbehaviour for non-touchsensitive jogwheels

Hello,

i have a reloop digital jockey, which has jogwheels that are not touch-sensitive. This means that a note-off when scratching is send when the jogwheel comes to a stop. In sound this means that there is a slowdown in playing audio tempo, and then a quick speedup to the regular speed. This is just like the old ramp-up bug in the original VCI100 firmware.
    Anyway, i am thinking about a smart way to work around this. I already developed a Traktor mapping where i have to keep a button pressed when scratching, and release the button at the right time. This works fine.
    But i think there might be an even better method. Maybe when analyzing the patterns in the incoming midi-CCs? At the end of a scratch when you give the last "sweep/bend" it seems the CC's are almost always a pattern of the same value. Maybe this pattern can be detected and trigger a note-off like removing your finger from a touchsensitive jogwheel?

Olaf

I tried my hand at making a VCI-100 1.1 jog fix in Bomes Midi Pro(back when the firmware wasnt availible). It was really really difficult and i never managed to make it work well enough to be able to perform with it what so ever. The hardest part being that the Bomes midi code while being excellent for making really good tricks really quickly it is really really hard to store large amounts of data then analyze it to this high a level.

To pull off this you would really need to move onto a higher level programming language thats better able to store the movments of the jog wheel and attempt to interpret that data. Even then i doubt that it could ever be as good as having a touch sensor
    Last edited by BentoSan; 10-14-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Tech Wizard

i agree with you BentoSan. I think the hold-button workaround is the best solution (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
    i agree with you BentoSan. I think the hold-button workaround is the best solution (for now)
    Sorry i couldn't be of more assistance