Mixing Techniques - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

AHAHAHAHAH@ Karlos.

I do the same.....LOOOOOOOOL

But have not had anyone bitchin at me yets!!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

hahaha. I went to go see above and beyond a little while ago. tossed my iphone up into the booth with a request on it (their mix of Home). Tony picked it up, looked at it, typed me a reply back and tossed it back to me. Next song, they teased in the melody line from home, and then dropped into another track! I was like damnnnnnnn. Then after they finished and played their last song (speakers were quiet), he looked at me and threw that song on. was prettttty sick.

Tech Wizard

Guys when mixing out of a track, how do you generally alternate between EQ's, upfaders, and the gain? I only usually use the gain to match the gains at the beginning but I don't usually us it during the mix - however I see some people do drop the gain of the track they are mixing out of. What is the difference between using the gain of the upfader, or is there any?

I find the gain just works better. Kinda takes the wind out of the out going track nicely. I like to break beat with the fader and like to slam it all the way back up. So use my gains too keep it from blaring. I use all three really. Just feeling it as i go. Mainly just cut my bass over to determine dominance and leave the rest using the gain to help keep it balanced. I might start looping the outgoing track and need to turn the gain up again. Its all about control. Works in my genre.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

OT--
    Sine you should get up on 88.1 man. It's a good time, I've only done two sets (busy as hell, more time in the summer). Good place, good people. And the whole "Afterhours" thing is pretty lenient as far as music director intervention is concerned.

Tech Convert

really curious to see how people mix between different genres and tempos...

i fuckin love hitting the 45 button on the breakdown of the right house track and mixing into some fat dnb. gets people hyped if used at the right time with the right tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    really curious to see how people mix between different genres and tempos...

i fuckin love hitting the 45 button on the breakdown of the right house track and mixing into some fat dnb. gets people hyped if used at the right time with the right tracks
    Sorry for the newbie-ness of the reply haha, but "45 button"

Really keen on learning about the many many types of transitions. Really liked the recent blog post about it, and have also watched the older ones
    Not sure how much 'natural' talent i have when it comes to dj'ing (havnt got my vci just yet =] ) but my f**k ill practice my ass off to make sure anything i do sounds good..

Thanks heaps for your help,
    fusion
    Black VCI-100 SE Arcade #220/350 with white buttons / knobs & faders
    Audio 2 DJ
    HD 25-1 II SE

I'm also a big fan of layering. In my music collection I have marked cool parts of songs with hotcues and hotloops. Sometimes I just mix song A to B, B to C and song C to D with the help of a four band EQ and hi/lopass filters on each channel, but I also use pieces of tracks as a loop and EQ and filter it a lot and just use it to add some groove to the mix. Also, I try to make my mixes not linear. It's possible that I play songs in a different arrangement and bring the mid frequencies back from a groove track that isn't on the forefront. It's not uncommon in my mixes that tracks are more than 15 minutes in my mix (or at least parts of them)...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mixer Miyagi View Post
    OT--
    Sine you should get up on 88.1 man. It's a good time, I've only done two sets (busy as hell, more time in the summer). Good place, good people. And the whole "Afterhours" thing is pretty lenient as far as music director intervention is concerned.

Yeah, I've been listening to their thursday night shows, with triple x pretty regularly, cause they always have good live djs. I've been thinking about trying to get an in over there, but I dont really even know how to go about it (like.... who am I supposed to talk to, and where is the station physically on nc states campus?)

Sorry for the hijack.
    But yea, Sine, the place is on the third floor of Witherspoon, the movie theater. Basically, you have to sign up for the training course which is held at the beginning of every spring and fall semester. You take that, and then take a written test (easy), then you do in studio/ on air training then they give you a physical test to see if you can operate their soundboard (easy). After that you are officially a WKNC employee then you just have to get up with the AFterhours director about getting a spot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast