Thinking about starting over, questions
    Tech Student

Default Thinking about starting over, questions

Hello, I use to mobile DJ years ago with Pioneer CDJ's and a DJM mixer heavy Cerwin-Vega speakers, heavy rack with the amp and lighting controllers and had to lug around crates of CD's. I've been away from mobile DJ'ing for a long time but now with the advent of new technology I have a few questions.

What are the specific problems with a laptop or desktop computer using a midi controller with built in audio (VCI-300) as compared to using a separate controller (VCI-100) and an external (DJiO or NI's Audio 2 DJ) usb audio interface? Wouldn't they use just as much resources combined as separate? or does it help because they are connected to separate usb ports?

Also, if I were to use a VCI-100 with a Numark DJiO could I still control the microphone level from within the software? Would I have to route the audio from the internal computer mic out to the mic in on the DJiO in order to use the software to control the microphone level?

If I were to use NI's Audio 2 DJ could I use the above wiring configuration to control the mic level within the software?

I want to hide the audio interface inside the rack so I don't have to reach in to adjust mic volume I want everything to be controlled from the midi controller, not that I used the mic that often in the past but i want to control as much as possible from the usb controller.

If I wanted to use a rack mounted PC what would be a good $100-200 internal sound card with full size 1/4" out jacks?

And one more example, when I use to DJ I used a BBE Sonic Maximizer, the RCA outs from my mixer would go to the BBE and the outs from the BBE to my amp then out to the speakers. Could I do the same with the outs from an audio interface to the BBE then to the amp?

also what do any of you truly think of American audio's VMS4

Last question, how much larger are the jog wheels on the VCI-300 compared to the VCI-100?

I was a younger (24 then, 36 now) when I use to mobile DJ in Ohio in small towns and the equipment was much heavier, and the effect lighting was halogen not LED (love the fact those have no duty cycle). Now my main interest is to DJ as a hobby on the weekends for fun, but I want to keep things very light and mobile.

I'm just saving the money right now, probably won't be ready to start buying until spring of 2011

I'm open to suggestions, information, links, anything I can use to help me decide on what would suit me best, and i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions as time goes on.

Sorry I had so many questions up front, I am new to DJTT and I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
    What are the specific problems with a laptop or desktop computer using a midi controller with built in audio (VCI-300) as compared to using a separate controller (VCI-100) and an external (DJiO or NI's Audio 2 DJ) usb audio interface? Wouldn't they use just as much resources combined as separate? or does it help because they are connected to separate usb ports?
    the fact that controller and soundcard use same or different usb slots won't matter, but users are usually reporting bad hardware quality concerning built in soundcards - unless they are top shelf controllers (like vci-300)... overall having separate controller and soundcard gives you more quality for your money and as bonus it gives you nice versatility in your possible setups and future upgrades.

Also, if I were to use a VCI-100 with a Numark DJiO could I still control the microphone level from within the software? Would I have to route the audio from the internal computer mic out to the mic in on the DJiO in order to use the software to control the microphone level?
    Using Traktor you can do such things. (you can set deck C or D for audio through and route your microphone signal into it...then you can manipulate it the way you handle other decks...-even add FX and such)

If I were to use NI's Audio 2 DJ could I use the above wiring configuration to control the mic level within the software?
    has A2DJ mic in? If so, you can do exact same thing as above

I want to hide the audio interface inside the rack so I don't have to reach in to adjust mic volume I want everything to be controlled from the midi controller, not that I used the mic that often in the past but i want to control as much as possible from the usb controller.
    plug your soundcard and build it inside concrete wall if you want, above solution will make you only controller and laptop dependant

If I wanted to use a rack mounted PC what would be a good $100-200 internal sound card with full size 1/4" out jacks?
    erm, don't bother with internal soundcard.. i guess... all of the DJ products or sound engineer products are made external anyway (yes internal soundacrd for DJs might exists but I cannot refer for their quality)

Sorry I had so many questions up front, I am new to DJTT and I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
    no problem mate and welcome to DJTT!
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII