Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    357

    Default ableton live intro?

    i have been thinking about trying the ableton live intro free for 30 days, and maybe purchase it for 99 bucks if it works out well for me, my goal are to remix tracks and turn them into tech house or minimal etc. am i going on the right direction here?

  2. #2
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    ive been trying to get using ableton as well. Any info (blog write up!!!) would be great

  3. #3
    Tech Guru charo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    i AM the cookie
    Posts
    935

    Default

    if you can deal or work around the limits of intro then for all means i think it is the "right" direction....provided you are comfortable with ableton.

    you could even use it for some basic djing.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    if you can deal or work around the limits of intro then for all means i think it is the "right" direction....provided you are comfortable with ableton.

    you could even use it for some basic djing.
    i'm going to download the 30 day free trial this sunday, and spend 4 days of my spring break on it. maybe 8hrs each day or all day or actually i would have to take breaks in between to study for exams. but yeah i'm going to test drive it

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor LiveFastStephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    332

    Default

    you could always jump on a gate way sequencer like reason or fl studio - make your own "tech house or minimal" tracks in there cause honestly until Melodyne Editor accomplishes it's goal of breaking tracks into stems, pulling out (for example) vocals only, to attempt make a "minimal" remix is pretty futile. yet if you make a bunch of sick tracks when capable of extracting isolated parts to mix you will have stuff to work with.. in any case learning any DAW will further your knowledge with in production game & hands down Ableton is the most respected in the DJ world, thou using something like Fl studio will grant you quicker access to whipping shit up - it's work flow is a lot easier to learn.. if you do just jump right to Live they have a bunch of free tutorials via youtube, under user name: "abletoninc" leaning it in side and out can't do you wrong.
    Last edited by LiveFastStephen; 03-23-2010 at 09:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru charo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    i AM the cookie
    Posts
    935

    Default

    check out the tom cosm webiste and tutorials, some great stuff there. with ableton, the user base is large enough where you will find youtube tutorials as well. i personally would download it now, if you can do even 20 mins a day until your break, those days off will be ALOT more productive.

    there was a good blog entry here (search main page) for how to make remixes if you don't have the stem tracks (seperate drums, vocals, bass, etc.)

    it might be confusing to start out thinking remix remix remix, and not really understanding the basic concepts of a DAW, and additional song composition.

    there is a good series of videos call "in the studio with ____" I think the ian carey ones are good starting points.

    ----
    the demo version of live doesn't allow you to render or save your work as wavs. there are vst recorders that you could use to bypass this for the demo, but that is something that should be taken into consideration. with intro you are going to run into the effects/vst limit of intro very quickly if you can't render the effect to wav file and then use the wav file(to free up that effect).

    good luck

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    check out the tom cosm webiste and tutorials, some great stuff there. with ableton, the user base is large enough where you will find youtube tutorials as well. i personally would download it now, if you can do even 20 mins a day until your break, those days off will be ALOT more productive.

    there was a good blog entry here (search main page) for how to make remixes if you don't have the stem tracks (seperate drums, vocals, bass, etc.)

    it might be confusing to start out thinking remix remix remix, and not really understanding the basic concepts of a DAW, and additional song composition.

    there is a good series of videos call "in the studio with ____" I think the ian carey ones are good starting points.

    ----
    the demo version of live doesn't allow you to render or save your work as wavs. there are vst recorders that you could use to bypass this for the demo, but that is something that should be taken into consideration. with intro you are going to run into the effects/vst limit of intro very quickly if you can't render the effect to wav file and then use the wav file(to free up that effect).

    good luck
    thanks and i understand that i will be expecting limitations. but for the 30 day demo, i mean i would just really use it to test my strength, ability, pressure and my limits. and i succeed in all 4 then i could possibly consider purchasing it for 99 bucks and hold on that dj equipment for a bit till i become well familiar with ableton live intro. if i get the full version of intro, i should be able to record/save files right? and maybe more features in the intro versus the demo of the intro? yeah i also like the fact about the tutorials all around which is one of the reason for going forward with it. and yes i will think tomorrow about considering your 20minute a day thing during class.

  8. #8
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    44

    Default

    everything you get in the demo is the same as when you buy it. and you can save when you download the demo, for 30days just sign up and ableton.com then download the demo from the site and it will save your log in as a key chain each time you load it up. After 30days you cant save/export.

    But if you want to produce/remix what ever you will find intro frustrating when you start to hit the device limits, you can allways re-sample things when this happens and its really cheap and a great place to start. But if you want to see what ableton can really do then just get the demo of Live 8 check out cosm.co.nz for all the vids you need to learn.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru charo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    i AM the cookie
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    everything you get in the demo is the same as when you buy it. and you can save when you download the demo, for 30days just sign up and ableton.com then download the demo from the site and it will save your log in as a key chain each time you load it up. After 30days you cant save/export.

    But if you want to produce/remix what ever you will find intro frustrating when you start to hit the device limits, you can allways re-sample things when this happens and its really cheap and a great place to start. But if you want to see what ableton can really do then just get the demo of Live 8 check out cosm.co.nz for all the vids you need to learn.
    Are u sure u can export in the demo? It wouldnt when i was trtyung it

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    Are u sure u can export in the demo? It wouldnt when i was trtyung it
    yea 100%, i have done it. As long as you are still in the 30 days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •