Recommended netbooks for Traktor DJing?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Recommended netbooks for Traktor DJing?

So, I decided I had to much money and to much time on my hand so I want to do the following.

I want to sell my Dell XPS 1330 and replace it with a heavy 17 inch i7 laptop for my photo, music and video editing.

Then I want to buy two netbooks, clone them and use only for DJing. If one breaks, just pull out the other one. I will also sell my Echo DJX card and get a USB audio interface.

The only thing that is not changing in my setup is my beloved Vestax VCI 100.

Now that we've got some pretty nice netbooks coming our way this spring I'd like to see what models you'd recommend. I'm obviously looking for a good balance between cost and performance. If it matches my sexy VCI 100 in color that doesn't hurt either.
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

Not sure netbooks have the spec to run traktor...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Well, they do. So let's not dive further into that shallow puddle

It's just a matter of what to get and how much you'd need to upgrade it (more RAM).
    Emil Beatsnatcher Brikha | www.LQP.se | Dell XPS M1330 (2.1 ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram), Traktor Pro 2.03, Novation Twitch.

My Dell Inspiron Mini 10v (1Gig RAM, OSX) runs traktor duo just fine, even with timecode. Still it's not very usable due to the low display resolution (1024x600).

Tech Wizard

This is a Samsung NC10 running Traktor Pro. I haven't tried layer 3-4 effects per deck yet or anything, but from the get go, I'm able to use the keylock, filter and I have my latency settings down to 5.5ms. It's got 2GB of RAM running WinXP SP3 and I have WIFI and BT turned off(obviously). I'm gonna see if I can get some vids up too.

EDIT: Yes, if you look closer, I'm also recording with TP too (and that's a Vestax SPIN hiding in the corner )
    Last edited by djgee; 03-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.

to be honest it just sounds like a bad idea... why not get 1 macbook that'll work and last a long long time rather than two netbooks.

What if it doesn't break then you got another netbook for no reason...

What if it breaks in the middle of an important gig at a crucial moment.

You got the money for one nice computer, and you want to get two netbooks on top too?

Get your nice computer and 1 solid reliable laptop too (bottom of the range new macbook will piss on any netbook for stability i can assure).

*shrugs*
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    to be honest it just sounds like a bad idea... why not get 1 macbook that'll work and last a long long time rather than two netbooks.

What if it doesn't break then you got another netbook for no reason...

What if it breaks in the middle of an important gig at a crucial moment.

You got the money for one nice computer, and you want to get two netbooks on top too?

Get your nice computer and 1 solid reliable laptop too (bottom of the range new macbook will piss on any netbook for stability i can assure).

*shrugs*
    the answer to all that can be summed up in one simple quote....

Quote Originally Posted by emil_brikha View Post
    to much money and to much time on my hand.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Lets please not pretend that Macbooks don't crash, they do. More PCs crash because 90% of the market is PC (and most people who use computers have no idea how to use them). But if you look at the return percentage of various makes you'll see that there is nothing extra ordinary about Mac as far as quality and long lasting.

So please let's just stick to the universal truth that computers sometimes break down, it can happen to the best, and the worst.

The main reason why I want netbooks is because they are small and light. The secondary reason is the price. Simple truth is I just need a DJ machine, a dedicated machine that does nothing else than holding my MP3s and running Traktor and if you live in Europe you don't want to fork out 2 000 euro for such a machine. I prefer to spend it on my killer work laptop instead.

Can we please stick to the topic now and discuss suitable netbooks for DJing?

I had a netbook set up as a backup and hated it because the screen was so small it was hard to read my track lists. It was an Acer Aspire One, and it did run everything just fine.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Wizard

For screen real estate, I would say go with a 12" screen. My 10 inch netbook is fine, but I've mapped a button on my controller to toggle on/off my playlists. I'm gonna try gigging with this once I find out where the threshold is (where is sound/visuals start to deteriorate).

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast