Best "netbooks" for djs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best "netbooks" for djs

So, I was wondering about buying a new notebook, just for dj stuff. No modem enabled, no antivirus or internet browsers, nothing that is not related to music (production and live performance). I was really thinking about a small one, maximum 13". Ive found a lot of good options, but one problem still remains: the firewire port. What do you guys suggest as an option for djing? It needs to be small, 2 usb ports and 1 firewire port (and of course, fast enough to runs apps like Reason, Traktor, Ableton Live).

The Asus Eee Pc does not have a firewire port, aight? And the Ibook G4 seems a good option (and has a firewire port), but I don't know if a processor like that can run those heavy softwares loaded with tons of VSTs... Any of you use a netbook live? Make me know.

Tech Mentor

I'm currently using an Eee PC 1000h with a VCI-100 and NI Audio Kontrol 1. It seems to be a good set up at the moment. You might want to consiter the Asus N10 because it has an express card slot. The extra $250 tacked onto that netbook is hardly justifiable. With that price, you could purchase a usb audio interface.

Tech Mentor

I bought a Lenovo X61 with the exact same ideals that you have in mind. It came with Vista which I stripped down to the bone, and I uninstalled any anti-virus stuff etc. This laptop will never be connected to the internet, ever, nor on any networks.

Anyway, the Lenovo (an IBM Thinkpad) is killer. Thinkpads have always been known for their build quality, which is top-notch. Even on the smallest model, you get a full-sized QWERTY keyboard and it feels great. There are some cool features too like the keyboard light

I bought it also because lenovo.com is always having sales trying to get rid of their older X61 models in light of the new X200/X300. The X61 used to be the flagship super-thin laptop that they'd offer.

You should note that it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, but you do get 3 USB ports etc. If you really want a drive, you can purchase the 'Ultrabase' which is sort of a docking station that your laptop will sit in. It has other ports and an optical drive on it.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's the perfect laptop for DJ'ing.

I also bought an external HD for it and a case from Waterfield designs (they make the absolute best slip covers that come in all sizes, custom for all laptops - check them out at www.sfbags.com).

EDIT: Sorry, there is NO FireWire port I guess you could get an adapter?
    Last edited by miyuru; 10-14-2008 at 11:16 PM.

The Asus EEE1000 seems good. The Lenovo seems good also, but no cd/dvd drive is such a problem... If Id like to install Windows XP, can I boot an Iso file from an external hard drive?

Right now I'm having several problems with my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1501. IRQ problems are the worst, so hard to solve them. And an USB soundcard would be a good thing, but I think it would be impossible to use an external soundcard and two USB midi controllers... I was thinking about the Vci-100 and the Akai Mpd 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Gueen View Post
    It needs to be small, 2 usb ports and 1 firewire port (and of course, fast enough to runs apps like Reason, Traktor, Ableton Live).
    Reading this, I immediately thought of a macbook.

Has everything you ask for there, and since apple have just released a new macbook (which incidentally has no firewire port) you should be able to pick up an 'older' version macbook on the cheap.

Oh.. and hi DJTT.. long time lurker, first time poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sc1C View Post
    Reading this, I immediately thought of a macbook.

Has everything you ask for there, and since apple have just released a new macbook (which incidentally has no firewire port) you should be able to pick up an 'older' version macbook on the cheap.

Oh.. and hi DJTT.. long time lurker, first time poster
    Depends on how much $ he has to spend really

Btw, welcome to DJTT

Tech Mentor

Sc1C welcome! I myself lurked for two months and finally posted after I got my set up a few days back.

Gueen, using 3 usb hubs for your setup is fine. If you need more, then buy a powered hub. There are ways you can boot windows via usb flash disk or sd cards. I just connected my dvd drive to the connections of my usb hard drive enclosure. It recognizes it and everything perfectly. If you don't have one, they're super cheap like $15 or so.

Tech Wizard

Another thread that I'm pulling out of the nether, but how do you guys deal with the tiny netbook resolution? I've tried using Traktor on my 8.9'' Acer Aspire One, and I could barely get the browser on the screen.

running Traktor on an Atom processor whilst gigging? hmm, rather you than me!

I think I'd rather get something like a Intel CoreSolo 2.13ghz laptop... there are plenty of laptops around with this spec and you should be able to pick something up at a netbook-like price.

Tech Wizard

Default Hola

If you are looking for something cheap :

MSI Wind U-100 with OXS on it...

2gigs of ram and the atom proc 1.6 overclocked to 2.4

i've been running traktor 1.1.2 with 2 tracks playing with all FX on (6 in total on the two channels) + 1 channels for scratch samples.

It runs perfectly without any glitch, the latency of my Novation Nio 2/4 is about 13ms for this setup which is acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast