USB Hub w/ Macbook Pro & multiple USB controllers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default USB Hub w/ Macbook Pro & multiple USB controllers

Hi Everyone!

My first real post! Glad to be here, love the resources and community.

So, I have a macbook pro, which only has two USB ports. I recently purchased an Audio 8 and Kontroller X1 for my kit and now find myself going, "now what?"

I have the shuttle controller as well and I'd like to use it for some other functions but obviously I've already reached my USB port limit. What hubs do you recommend for live performances? As in, something that won't flake out or need to be restarted, etc.

I'm imagining that I will soon get a second Kontroller X1 and will need a solution by then b/c they don't chain (stupid). So what USB hubs have you used/recommend. I'd like something as rugged and solid as all the gear itself.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Last edited by DJ_mYo; 03-26-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: make the question more readable.

Tech Guru

I ran into the same problem you did, and I determined that the best fix without involving more wires and devices would be to utilize that Firewire port. The way I went around doing it originally was using a Firewire 800 to USB 2.0 hybrid hub (they exist, believe it or not).

Or, you could do what I did, and pick up a Presonus Firebox. You free up both USB slots for two X1's, and viola - all the functionality, none of the extra mumbo jumbo.

On a more relevant note to your post: make sure whatever hub you use supports multi transaction translators (Multi-TT for short), which really makes a big difference performance wise.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub#Speed

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I ran into the same problem you did, and I determined that the best fix without involving more wires and devices would be to utilize that Firewire port. The way I went around doing it originally was using a Firewire 800 to USB 2.0 hybrid hub (they exist, believe it or not).
    I agree, a firewire usb hub would be the smartest option. if you have the money.

I run 2 midi keyboards, printer and my iphone dock through a logitech 4-port hub got this for about $30AUD.
    used to have a 7 port belkin which was really good, but i lended and it never returned.

my only suggestion would be.. going with a known brand, and not pay anything less than $20AUD
    Because what it comes down to is, you literally get what you pay for.

but just remember, NEVER run your soundcard through any hub, too many drop outs and latency, especially with digidesign products. im sure you know this!! i just have a pet hate

sorry i used aussie prices im too lazy to go onto xe.com and convert lol

cheers

Tech Wizard

oh, and make sure your new hub is externally powered by a nice wallwart!

Tech Student

The way I went around doing it originally was using a Firewire 800 to USB 2.0 hybrid hub (they exist, believe it or not).
    where did you get this hybrid hub? i was pretty sure these didn't exist and a quick google showed no results.

thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This thread has a list of USB hubs that have been confirmed to have multi TT's according to the manufacturers.

http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthr...light=USB+hubs

Some good reading

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/01/2...ub-dj-hi-spee/

Another on MBP USB ports

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/07/1...rt-inequality/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by twist16 View Post
    where did you get this hybrid hub? i was pretty sure these didn't exist and a quick google showed no results.

thanks
    They exist, I promise you:

This one is an unbranded hybrid hub which was a bitch to find. I bought it at a local supply depot which went out of business for $40, but it has multi-TT built into it and is a champ with inter connectivity.

It's a shame that Apple won't let go of firewire...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    It's a shame that Apple won't let go of firewire...
    I foresee this happening soon, maybe not in the upcoming product revision, but in the 2nd or 3rd. Firewire 800 will be replaced by USB 3.0 in my opinion.

I foresee this happening soon, maybe not in the upcoming product revision, but in the 2nd or 3rd. Firewire 800 will be replaced by USB 3.0 in my opinion.
    Yeah, i agree. I have a firewire port on my PC case but i just don't know what to do with it... Same as the eSata one really. Practically useless...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast