2 Begginner Mixes (Need Feedback)

Default 2 Begginner Mixes (Need Feedback)

Started DJing about a year after being inspired by Justice and DJ AM. Got into maintstream electro/techno/dance. Finally got equipment in December. Started putting together and recording proper mixes recently. I would call myself an advanced beginner. Take a listen and tell me what you think!

Equipment:
    Hercules Steel DJ Midi Controller
    Native Instruments Audio 2 Interface
    15" June 09 2.56 GHz Macbook Pro
    Sennheiser EH150 Headphones
    Traktor

Top 40 Mix (Not exactly my fav music but sounds good)
    http://soundcloud.com/atticus18244fs...010-top-40-mix
    Last edited by Stewe; 09-17-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: dead links removed
    Hercules Steel Controller
    Native Instrument Audio 2

top 40 mix..
    Some places could use a little EQ love. You're bringing in too much of the incoming track, or leaving on too much of the outgoing track. Sometimes you can get away with this, but when the tracks are pretty busy, it can sound confusing, even when in time.

Harmonics.. Alot of the mixes need to be shorter to avoid key clashes.

Otherwise... not bad at all!
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    top 40 mix..
    Some places could use a little EQ love. You're bringing in too much of the incoming track, or leaving on too much of the outgoing track. Sometimes you can get away with this, but when the tracks are pretty busy, it can sound confusing, even when in time.

Harmonics.. Alot of the mixes need to be shorter to avoid key clashes.

Otherwise... not bad at all!
    Thanks a ton for listening. In the second mix I play around more with the EQ to avoid the "clashing" so I'm still working on improving that. And I haven't quite gotten to the point where I mix in key, maybe that will be my next thing I improve on. Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely use it in the future.

Muck about with EQ kills and filters to strip out parts of the songs that you dont want together. And look at timing your intro's/outro's and breakdowns of your mixes so they flow.

And above all, muck about and have some fun.

Some of my favourite techniques came out of trainwreck practise sessions!
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Tech Student

greetings atticus18244fsas, i only listened to the 2nd mix, i don't like commercial stuff, not bad...i'd agree with djmoonie, eq'ing is a must...but just as important... is timing (intro/outtro) i got timing mastered 1st then eq'ing slotted into place, i started mixing house/dance in the mid 90's then trance evolved, hard house, drum&bass and the genre that has me hooked - just has to be psytrance.

Traktor is a quality program, mixing in key isn't rocket science, but it's sorta the icing on the cake

all the best m8 - don't give up, your ability will increase as you evolve - you'll understand the last comment as time goes on

PLUR

Adv_dj

http://soundcloud.com/adv_dj

Quote Originally Posted by adv_dj View Post
    greetings atticus18244fsas, i only listened to the 2nd mix, i don't like commercial stuff, not bad...i'd agree with djmoonie, eq'ing is a must...but just as important... is timing (intro/outtro) i got timing mastered 1st then eq'ing slotted into place, i started mixing house/dance in the mid 90's then trance evolved, hard house, drum&bass and the genre that has me hooked - just has to be psytrance.

Traktor is a quality program, mixing in key isn't rocket science, but it's sorta the icing on the cake

all the best m8 - don't give up, your ability will increase as you evolve - you'll understand the last comment as time goes on

PLUR

Adv_dj

http://soundcloud.com/adv_dj
    Thanks man it means a lot.