Your name
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your name

Default Your name

I thought it'd be a bit of fun to start a thread of how you came up with your DJ name and what it is. Personally, I'm stuck trying to think of a better one cuz DJWit just isn't exactly memorable.

I was thinking the same thing only because I *don't* have a "DJ" name. People would ask me and I would just say my real name and have them look dumbfounded, like it's kinda expected to be named DJ Whatever. Still I have found 2 trends going on with DJ names:

1) Not many new DJ's would have "DJ" before their moniker. They would only have their artist name without the DJ. I believed this was true for acts with more than 1 person like The Prodigy, Crookers, Bloody Beetroots, etc but even I remember reading a website from someone on DJTT about a female DJ that removed the "DJ" before her moniker just to have a more easy to remember single name.

2) Killing the vowels. MSTRKFT started this (well KMFDM way before) but since I have heard a lot of people killing vowels too in their DJ moniker.

As for me I have no problem having my real name as my "artistic name" while a bit unoriginal I think having a corny, tacky, kitschy name is way worse.

Insert rant:

Also, WTF is that about DJ's wearing sunglasses? Is a club environment not dark enough? Is the Cool McCool look worth fucking up your performance due to not be able to see wtf you are doing? I swear the minute I learn Traktor and the VCI like those who do the Rubik cube without seeing I'll be playing blindfolded and see who is the coolest of them all.

/rant
    Last edited by Quenepas; 03-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

My brother called me Bento when i was in highschool, then my mates added the san part.

I used to produce make music for my friends and stuck with the name never thinking much of it, the name just kinda stuck from there. Especially when i joined DJTT and everyone started knowing me as BentoSan, then it was really stuck.

Ive thought about changing the name but this is what everyone knows me as now so i am going to stick with it. Have to say though it was never really my intention to be known by so many people as BentoSan

earl panda - my nickname always was panda and my last in german graf means earl in english

ed paris - my dj name because i was watching enemy at the gates with ed harris while reading some random ews in the papers about paris hilton and voila ed apris
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

My buddy just recently came up with a name that is sorta not mine... simply Jackson Ryan. What do you guys think? I think it's simple, and gets the point across

Quote Originally Posted by JWit View Post
    My buddy just recently came up with a name that is sorta not mine... simply Jackson Ryan. What do you guys think? I think it's simple, and gets the point across
    I dig it. Here's a list of some DJ's I like from my last.fm. Those come from kind of silly, Chewy Chocolate Cookies, to just some dude's name like Felix Cartal.

* Stereoheroes
    * AC Slater
    * Congorock
    * MightyFools
    * Don Rimini
    * Hostage
    * Chewy Chocolate Cookies
    * Sound of Stereo
    * Gigi Barocco
    * Felix Cartal
    * Les Petits Pilous
    * Gtronic
    * MSTRKRFT

But you know, just like somebody will say later on the thread, is not about the name but how good you are while spinning. That said I remember thinking that an interesting name may raise curiosity and make more people come to the gig. Just like when I heard MSTRKRFT for the first time it raised curiosity and it made for a memorable name. I remember a movie called Black Dynamite that would raise fear among his enemies. While the movie is a spoof about the 70's portrayal of black kung fu people made me think about a DJ name.

Enjoy!
    Erase. Stop. Start.

hmmmm MSTRKRFT, never heard of that one! hahah. sick post though!

I just started a new group, we go by "La Fin Du Monde". It's French for "The End Of The World".
    It just seemed fitting, as we have a very french influenced sound, and well... the world is coming to an end....

Played at an outdoor a few years ago, didn't find out till i saw the poster that my dj name was "jester". i guess the promoter didn't think that "jesse" was very psytrancey enough
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

With a name like Jake Lake, you don't get many nicknames. I live in a small town, so most of the staff (and patrons) know me at the places I play and refer to me as DJ Jake Lake. I don't use the DJ title myself, but everyone else does. My forum name jakeintox comes from my email and the name of my punk band, Rude Intoxicant.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast