Final Controller Decision

Default Final Controller Decision

After reading for months, I think I am going for the Hercules Steel. The price isn't bad, even though the VCI was my first choice, it's almost double.

The reason being, is that I mainly only want to mess with trance. I don't care so much for scratching, I just want some smooth transitions between songs and a little bit of cool effects.

The issue I want to deal with the the mappings though. I don't need anything as intracate as Ian's mappings for the VCI, and would like to import the sweet settings Armyofmee has created with the buildup effects. I heard the Hercules mappings on the website are crap, and am not sure I could create my own....

Any imput on any part of my rant?

Thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I use a VCI and never scratch. The touch sensitive jog wheels are key dude, seriously, key.

In other news, yes you can use Armyofmee's mappings, it's pretty basic. Just import it and away you go.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Or you can use my mappings for the steel! :-) It is basically setup to work with my lpd8, keystation 49e, my turntables and 4 decks... But it'd only take 10 minutes to remap all the deck controls. Gotta map it yourself to truly use and know it. And mapping is not hard at all, just need to know what you want the control to do, click what funtion you want it to do, click learn and move/press the control. done :-)
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Edit: Posted before DJMutagen.

Thanks for the insight. Are you pleased with your Steel? Is it something that I can map multiple FX to like armyofme and Ian do?

When you mapped it, did you start from scratch, or did you base it off of the websites?
    Do your lights work as well, or must they me mapped also?

Sorry for all the questions, that's what popped in my head at the moment.

I love it. It's solid, basic mixer functions plus all buttons and knobs you'd need for anything else. I have all my chained effects mapped to my LPD8, but before that I was just using the auto-gain feature in traktor so i could use the 1/2 control knobs in the upper left with the track gain knobs as my effects and you can map whatever to toggle the FX bays or each one individual. I'd be more than happy to upload my TSI for anyone! :-) I started with virtual DJ and the standard mapping that came with that. When i GRADUATED to traktor (snicker) I just did everything from scratch. My LEDs work perfectly fine, although to get that going you have to send different MIDI msgs to it/map them... but all mine are setup :-) If you'd like a video description I can do that too! :-) I like having tons of gear that everything is assigned to so i can space everything out for workflow, but that's me... TO EACH THEIR OWN! :-D
    Last edited by DJMutagen; 03-30-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: More info
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

I just bought the VCI, but I can say this, even my little Hercules DJ Console mk2 which is the lowest of low end kicks some ass and I've done a few bars with it...hey I may just keep it around for some deck 3 and 4 control. Point is, for the price i think Herc's kick some ass

Thank you all for the advice. And DJMutagen, I will definitely be in touch with you in the coming weeks for some help! Thanks again!

The steel is an awesome controller mate. If it had the same touch sensitive wheels as the VCI it would be right up there with the best.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

I think the best looking and portable midi controller that looks like a DJ controller would have to be the VCI 300. It looks dope in the dark as well, the LED's look sick! Imagine a 4 deck Trakter controller with VCI 300 jog wheels and LED's mmmmmmmmmm....(One of these days!!)

Anywas, ya I seen DJ's use that controller in the clubs. Seems like a solid controller for the price.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123