Traktor Pro: Is there a way to visually determine bars and phrases
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor Pro: Is there a way to visually determine bars and phrases

Sup Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to visually see how many bars are in a particular piece of a track. I know that if you hover the mouse over a part in the song it will tell you how many bars are between that point and the point of the song thats playing or cued up. But im wondering if there is way to be able to tell how many bars are in that break down coming up or is that outro 64 or 32 bars, while the song is actually playing?? I like to spin all kinds of music, especially together, so i cant always rely on assuming the basic phrasing rule of thumb for a particular genre of music. If anyone has got a technique they use for being able to tell how many bars are in a certain piece of a track i would love to hear it thanks in advance!

None that I know of. You just gotta know the song, there is the phase meter and it does section out the songs in the stripe, but that's as close as you get in Traktor I think. It'd be an interesting algorithm to locate and identify the 'building blocks' of a song and lay it out in a grid over it, that would be the start of skynet...
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

memorize is the answer..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

You could always mark song up with markers and use the different ones to make a system that would help you visually identify the phrases and the bar count.

like > flag for start of a phrase
    < for the end
    | for 8 bars

Seeing as you can have up to 32 hotcues, I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to mark up the song in 8 bar increments using the different types you could definately get a system down to visually see the phrases. Only problem is it would take a while to mark up all the song.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    You could always mark song up with markers and use the different ones to make a system that would help you visually identify the phrases and the bar count.

like > flag for start of a phrase
    < for the end
    | for 8 bars

Seeing as you can have up to 32 hotcues, I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to mark up the song in 8 bar increments using the different types you could definately get a system down to visually see the phrases. Only problem is it would take a while to mark up all the song.
    what? 32 hotcues? in traktor? how? :eek:

the system can work, but it's a hell of work..

i really just do it by knowing more or less the length of 32 or 64 bars on my screen, got a lot of hotcues though to help
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

that's the most annoying thing about Traktor imo... the fact that it scales the waveform down in size so that it fits into a fixed space within Traktor. This means that a 1 minute tune looks exactly the same length as a 10 minute tune... impossible to accurately judge visually when a breakdown/whatever is coming (like you can with vinyl, to a degree)

I don't typically have trouble finding breakdowns in the stripe. There's a pretty big difference in the intensity of transients clearly visible in the waveform. I've also taught myself to watch the rate of the waveform tape for a few measures to estimate if a big change is coming 16, 32, 64, or more bars away.

Basically, use your ears and learn your music. If Traktor can feed you information about phrasing and what's happening next, it won't need humans control it. It will probably achieve sentience and enslave the human race.

Trust me, it will be curtains for us all.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Um... there is a way to do this, actually.

Except it measures from cue points, and only works from the current position.

You need to set it in your Deck Display under preferences. You select one line to be Beats from Cue. I have mine set so Beats in Phrase is zero cause I don't like counting measures.

If you hover over the wave form summary display (at the bottom) it will also tell you how many bars away from the current position, but I haven't figured out 100% how to read it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

The way I do it is to know the approximate length of a phrase at the BPM of the tune, eg for dubstep 27 seconds is 16 bars. Then you just use the minute markers to get an approximate idea of the phrase points

It only needs to be approximate because the music allways makes it obvious when you know roughly where it is

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    that's the most annoying thing about Traktor imo... the fact that it scales the waveform down in size so that it fits into a fixed space within Traktor. This means that a 1 minute tune looks exactly the same length as a 10 minute tune... impossible to accurately judge visually when a breakdown/whatever is coming (like you can with vinyl, to a degree)
    if you use the prefs-option --> Global View Options --> Stripe View Fit _> Record u will see adiffrence between songs of diffrent lengths (only works in scratch mode)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast