Compression

Thread: Compression

Default Compression

Just a quick question. Does compression come before or after other effects you are using. For example if I have some hi hats that I'm going to compress that I also am using reverb on, do I compress it before or after the reverb?

Heres my high-tech diagram.

A. High Hat -> Reverb -> Compression -> Out
    or
    B. High Hat -> Compression -> Reverb -> Out

Also if you haven't already, you should consider getting involved with the DJTT album for original tracks produced by fellow DJTT-ers:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12665
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

There are no hard and fast rules (because you may want to compress the reverb as an effect for example), but generally Compression usually comes before the effect.

You can use EQ before compression if you want to achieve a specific effect, such as making the compression hit harder when the sound is more bassy.

^^^eggzacary. Each way of routing it gives it a different sound. Compressing after the reverb is going to affect the natural tail of your reverb, which in most cases isn't what you want. However there are some dance songs that use this effect to make long reverb tails pump with the beat. But that process is a bit more complecated than the process we're talking about.

Oh and I'm puttin up my track for the album today. I'm diggin the song you put up. That shit kills it! Can't wait to see a whole album done
    Last edited by Villinus; 04-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.

yeah, i mainly see compression as one of those first couple things you process the audio with to get the sound sitting right, or one of the last in the chain if it's on say, your master bus or something like that. like if i was recording a bass guitar, compression (along with eq) would be one of the first things in the chain so i get the level and sound sitting right, and then comes the extra shit like delays and what not. but like what was said earlier: it's all dependent on what *sounds* right to you. don't worry about how crazy your eq curves look or how hard/light your compression is. what does it *sound* like?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    ^^^eggzacary. Each way of routing it gives it a different sound. Compressing after the reverb is going to affect the natural tail of your reverb, which in most cases isn't what you want. However there are some dance songs that use this effect to make long reverb tails pump with the beat. But that process is a bit more complecated than the process we're talking about.

Oh and I'm puttin up my track for the album today. I'm diggin the song you put up. That shit kills it! Can't wait to see a whole album done
    Understandable. Maaaaaan this stuff gets complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    yeah, i mainly see compression as one of those first couple things you process the audio with to get the sound sitting right, or one of the last in the chain if it's on say, your master bus or something like that. like if i was recording a bass guitar, compression (along with eq) would be one of the first things in the chain so i get the level and sound sitting right, and then comes the extra shit like delays and what not. but like what was said earlier: it's all dependent on what *sounds* right to you. don't worry about how crazy your eq curves look or how hard/light your compression is. what does it *sound* like?
    Gotcha. I guess part of the problem is that I still haven't completely wrapped my head around what compression actually does. I mean, I know what it does, I know why it's used, but the whole concept just confuses me. Before I got into production I never anticipated all these little aspects....
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

i usually do: sample->hipass filter->EQ->Compressor, then I route those all to a reverb bus.

+1 on stringerhye.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

compression can do a lot of things... it can help make a consistent level, it can alter transients, it can give things pop, snap, weight, or oomph. But most importantly it can utterly ruin a sound if you don't do it right

honestly I'm not sure if you even need to compress a high hat track. they're usually nothing but a transient anyway. compressing after the reverb will bring the reverb out more though.

I would do something like this:
    high hat -> high pass filter (if it's a bad sample/vinyl rip to get rid of rumble) -> eq if necessary