Soundcard. Upgrade to Audio 8 Dj from MAudio FW Audiophile?
    Tech Wizard

Default Soundcard. Upgrade to Audio 8 Dj from MAudio FW Audiophile?

Hi,

New to the forum...
    Been dj for over 8 years now... due to a new life (family, mortage) I "decided" to stop djing about a year ago but, like everyone knows, it is impossible!!

I decided to go digital after selling my AH 62 and my 2 cdj1000.

My current digital setup includes a MacBook Pro 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, M-Audio FW audiophile and a recent VCI 100...

My question is: is it worth to upgrade to a Audio 8 DJ or stay with my MAudio FW? or, what is a similar FW option in the 400 or less price range...

I've seen lots of posts about soundcards but now im way too lost...

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thx..

Ofcause the Audio8 is a better soundcard, with a bit more bassy feel then the M-audio. But it all depends on your needs. If you play a big clubs then yes, I would go for the upgrade. If you just play at home and at smaller parties, then no need for the upgrade. After all, the M-Audio is not a bad soundcard at all.

Tech Wizard

Oks.. one more question, stability of USB2.0 vs Firewire... do you see an issue there?

Well, FW has a better stability reputation than USB 2.0. But I dont think its an issue any longer since the USB drivers has become a lot better and more stable. Personally I use a USB 2.0 soundcard (the Auidokontrol 1 also from NI) and have never had any stability issues.
    These days stability problems is more often a result of your computers inability to run the software, than the souncard.

Tech Convert

The key factor for me in switching from a fw interface to a USB2.0 is that my Maudio firewire 410 interface needed to be plugged in because my PC only had a 4pin firewire port. I think the macs might supply power on the firewire port. I switched to an Audio Kontrol 1 which is fully powered by the USB port.

I have had it happen a few times where a circuit breaker trips in a club. My laptop will stay up, but my firewire 410 loses power then I have to reboot the laptop. So my current top criteria after low latency,audio quality and stability is not having to be plugged in.

I would probably stick with the audiophile, especially if it was stable for you before.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by subVert View Post
    The key factor for me in switching from a fw interface to a USB2.0 is that my Maudio firewire 410 interface needed to be plugged in because my PC only had a 4pin firewire port. I think the macs might supply power on the firewire port. I switched to an Audio Kontrol 1 which is fully powered by the USB port.
    It is true: the FW Audiophile is 100% fully powered by the mac's bus. THAT is a big plus!

Also, i changed Traktor 3.3 latency to 4.0ms and the thing worked like a charm... there were no hickups / dropouts in the playback, cpu load was no more than a 1/4 of the display bar...

Tech Wizard

the Audio 8 DJ is also powered by the USB bus power. You don't need a power supply for it if it's plugged into your computer.

Tech Convert

Go with Audio8 if you plan on using Traktor Scratch.