SSD in your mac
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSD in your mac

Default SSD in your mac

So an issue was raised recently about my pending decision to buy a Macbook Pro. I'd like an SSD, less chance of shock damage, super fast write speeds, but then i found out mac doesn't support TRIM and subsequently performance slows down soon after purchase. Should i save my 400 bucks and do a different upgrade, or is it worth it?

I would save my bucks for anythnig else till apple didn't implemented trim on SL (it should come with the next generation MBP, I guess)
    DJ rig : MacBookPro 13"/2.26 (10.6.4) + Echo Audiofire 2 + VCI-100 SE (3.5.1 tsi) + Traktor Pro (1.2.6)
    If you want to know more about my music : www.myspace.com/ooneymusic

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Hmm. i wouldnt bother with SSD until its much cheaper and higher in capacity.

And to be honest (going off the O.P) when was the last time you had "shock damage" to your HD or was so peed off that your laptop was writing too slow.

I think SSD "will" be the way we all go "eventually' but right now its too expensive and not worth it.

You can bet that Apple will drop everything for SSD eventually and then it will have to be more financially accessible.

Tech Mentor

I am currently looking at buying a macbook pro

mmmmm SSD yeah great but as Karlos said not worth the corn in comparison to 7k reg hd

I would rather have a 500 gig 7k/ 10k hd than a 256 gig hd that slows down when you fill it up

MORE IMPORTANTLY do NOT buy a new mac lappy till they throw in I7 chips

thats more of a do not buy yet for me

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    And to be honest (going off the O.P) when was the last time you had "shock damage" to your HD or was so peed off that your laptop was writing too slow.
    Lost two hard drive in '09 on my Dell work laptop. The IT guy was not even phased, his answer when I asked if this was normal "get used to it and backup on the network often".

But I didn't go SSD on the MBP, had lots of luck with two other work related Mac laptops. Just too expensive for such little space, and you still need lots of RAM.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

I went for the cheapest SSD with a three figure capacity that I could find, a Kingston V-Series 128 GB. It has a really bad reputation for being slow, and for an SSD, it is. It's still faster than any 2,5'' HDD I owned before, and to be honest, after a few months in my macbook I don't feel that it has become significantly slower. (Don't know if it takes longer than a few months for that to happen though).
    I also thought SSD would be nonsense, until I had to fill in for a few minutes in a club that had a massive soundsystem with all of it's subwoofers directly in front of/below the stage. I didn't have my laptop with me, but even spinning vinyl properly was nearly impossible because the stage and the DJ booth were vibrating so hard that beer bottles fell over. I'm pretty sure that would have killed my HD or at least triggered the sudden motion sensor few times, although that might have been a worst case scenario.

I had two macbooks fail freshman year due to shock from longboarding to class with them in my backpack (Yes powered off), they replaced both for free no questions asked within 2 days which was nice but still lost all my shit

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastams View Post
    shock from longboarding to class with them in my backpack t
    :eek::eek::eek: im a skater but skating with my dj lappy..? Never.

Lesson learned : Always back up your music! haha

Edit: I suppose it should be, don't skate with your DJ laptop

Seriously though i might grab an i7 macbook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast