Studio Monitor Questions

Default Studio Monitor Questions

Hello! Im pretty new to the dj world and have only been djing for a couple months... i have dj'd at a couple underground raves but im looking to get my own gear and take it to the next level.

My question is in reference to studio monitors i.e. the krk rokit...

1) why would i need studio monitors as compared to lets say some nice computer speakers like the high end logitech ones?

2) i understand these are powered and can pump out a lot of sound... are these feasible for house parties?

3) the way i see it i could just use high end computer speakers like the logitech z-5500 (http://goo.gl/IZ6d) and those would be great for practice and parties and also be cheaper. Am i wrong for thinking this?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

there's a HUGE thread we did a while back about studio monitors and how they are used by DJs for parties.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=10865&

I think we cover most of your questions. If things still don't make sense then ask more.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

it sort of covered it i guess... although a lot of it was just bickering... i guess what im getting at is do i need to invest in massive pa speakers to play a house gig or will high and computer speakers do the trick... by high end i mean around 500-700 watts with satellites and a 10" woofer... i guess sort of like a home theater system

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, it did kind of devolve into bickering. I brought it up only because you refer to the Rokits.

It all depends on the size of the gigs. You can do the gig with a nice home theater system if it will fill the space you're in. I doubt most house party DJs will ever need a truly massive PA system. A good set of powered speakers, or unpowered with a nice amp should definitely do the trick.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yeah that makes more sense now... i dont see myself needing a pa or monitors soon as these home theater speakers will suit me just fine.. thank you for your help