do DJ's register their name
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default do DJ's register their name

    do people like tiesto, erick morrelo or victor calderone register their or they just keep it unregistered.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    do people like tiesto, erick morrelo or victor calderone register their or they just keep it unregistered.
    yes.

    Everything has to be treated as a business... when you are dealing with large events, venues, and promoters you need to be a business, its not just a few hundred dollars from the local club anymore. Plus dealing with getting paid for track licensing and stuff like that its best to have a business and tax id to legitimately get paid when dealing with foreign companies. You can do the ss# thing but it can turn into a hassle when submitting forms with the IRS then getting them stamped so you can submit them to the UK or where ever.
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  3. #3
    DJTT Ninja Mod tekki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Afterhour Ali's lap
    Posts
    11,004

    Default

    I haven't. Now there's a UK based dj that goes by the name Tekki too...
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

  4. #4
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    so where and how does one go about registering their name?

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    yes.

    Everything has to be treated as a business... when you are dealing with large events, venues, and promoters you need to be a business, its not just a few hundred dollars from the local club anymore. Plus dealing with getting paid for track licensing and stuff like that its best to have a business and tax id to legitimately get paid when dealing with foreign companies. You can do the ss# thing but it can turn into a hassle when submitting forms with the IRS then getting them stamped so you can submit them to the UK or where ever.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    so where and how does one go about registering their name?
    i got the same question, but this will be on hold because the name i want to register has to do with a special type of rhythm that i have to install/implement in tech house to redefine the name i want but b4 i do all that and disclose the name which i would after i register i would wait still 2-3 more months till i get my equipment and practice my goals and pretty much just work towards that and hope it'll take me far. hint: its similiar to deadmau5 n shit, i wanna have a costume too lol

  6. #6
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    so where and how does one go about registering their name?
    In the US it is best to first register the name as a true business, making it an LLC (I have Lance Blaise, LLC for instance). You need to do this locally with the state you live in, each states process is different but all are similar. Cost is usually around $100 give or take $20. Don't get suckered into paying some company $500 on the internet to do it for you, the process is quite simple if you jjust do it on your own.

    Another thing you can/should do. Copyright your logo. In the US a simple way of doing this is to simple print out your logo and mail it to yourself as a certified letter and do not open it, just file it away someplace. Its a poor man's copyright, but its simple, fast, cheap, and most of all its easy.
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    In the US it is best to first register the name as a true business, making it an LLC (I have Lance Blaise, LLC for instance). You need to do this locally with the state you live in, each states process is different but all are similar. Cost is usually around $100 give or take $20. Don't get suckered into paying some company $500 on the internet to do it for you, the process is quite simple if you jjust do it on your own.

    Another thing you can/should do. Copyright your logo. In the US a simple way of doing this is to simple print out your logo and mail it to yourself as a certified letter and do not open it, just file it away someplace. Its a poor man's copyright, but its simple, fast, cheap, and most of all its easy.
    thanks bro. i'll have to look into it more to see the exact process for canadians, but i imagine it's very similar.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru LanceBlaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA, Where Techno Is Scarce
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Yeah, if you are going to be sticking with your name then its not a bad idea to do it... never know when you could hit it big.
    [B]lanceblaise.com | podcasts

    for booking requests :: please go to: projecttechno.com

  9. #9
    Tech Guru Fatlimey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    It's simple. DJ's paint their identities on an egg and it gets added to the registry of DJs.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukeste...03952187/show/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •