Any Spanish people here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Any Spanish people here?

So I'm looking to go to Spain for the summer. Gonna try get a summer job on a bar & ultimately look for DJ work.
    Just wondering if there are any Spanish heads on this forum who can either give some advice or who are already working on the scene who might fancy hooking up. I'll have my DJ & music production gear with me so if anyone fancies & colab I'm all ears.

Peace

You are vacationing or moving there completely? I personally havent been to Spain but I have many friends and relatives who have lived there and seems stuff is pretty rough. Apartments are pretty expensive and if cash is an issue you would need to move with a roommate. Also, while Im not sure about how much money you would make bartending and DJing, there's a phenomenon there called "Mileuristas" which is people very prepared academically but unable to find a job that pays over 1000 Euros a month thus not allowing them to find proper housing.

I'm not trying to discourage you, in fact, I would like to move to Spain and live there for a year or something but Im told labor laws for immigrants are not that friendly due to them having preference for native job seekers. Again bartending and DJ is a proper alternative but myself being a system admin maybe would have a rough time there.

Also the language problem may prove to be an issue if you dont speak spanish. Im bilingual (spanish/english) and still find their spanish kinda funky although I have been watching a lot of spaniard TV and shows such as Muchachada Nui do I get most of their lingo. English speakers are few and apart and pronunciation aint the best as the stories go.

Still I would go there. Not alone mind you. But definetly it's an experience I would like to have
    Erase. Stop. Start.

my family is from Spain, and I visit there often. They have a huge club scene in the bigger cities like Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Valencia, and ofcourse in Ibiza. It all really depends on what part of Spain you're going to. My cousins in Spain are event managers for some clubs in Madrid (don't know which ones I don't really talk much to them about it), and it seems like there are a lot of openings at clubs usually. Keep in mind though that Spain was hit very badly with the recent recession, and many people are unemployed,(the post above about the "mileuristas" is very true, my cousins both have airline pilot training, but they've had to put that on hold simply because there are not enough jobs around, in any profession, so I can imagine that has affected the party scene as well.

They do have a different accent, just like how British and North Americans speak English differently. I too speak both Spanish and English, but honestly everyone in the cities speak English, most schools teach it, because it is the lingua franca for business all over the world. You would only have trouble communicating with people from smaller villages or towns.

It is a beautiful country, I love it when I visit annually, but the economic environment at the moment just isn't favourable.
    Last edited by bmo; 04-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

i thought nemo was from spain but i haven´t seen him here for months
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

nemo has gone back to Sweden, as far as I know. He used to live there, but alas, no longer!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

hey Im from Spain!.

There is lot of party in Spain, lot of clubs and stuff till 6 am, if you want to dj, the economic recession won't matter cause people have fun always, no matter hoy much money is in their pocket.

You have to choose carefully where are you going to live, because depending your music style it will be very difficult to get sets.

Baleares(ibiza, mallorca) is only for superstar djs, so I would forget djing there...

The best club scene is in Barcelona and Madrid, but they are very expensive.

I live in Zaragoza, wich is the fourth/fifth biggest city in Spain, but the scene is horrible, lots of pubs with the media player...

I think Valencia is a good place to go, not as expensive as barcelona/madrid and with a good scene.

Hope to be helpfull, ask me whatever you want!

Tech Wizard

I'm from Italy...moving out this summer to Barcellona for couple of years cause i got a scolarship at Universitat de Barcelona. Language isn't really a problem since Italian and Spanish are pretty much veryyyy similar...not to even mention Italian-Catalan which are pretty much the same thing if you ask me. I do speak the language pretty fluently...and can understand it all. If anyone is from Barca around here give me a nudge...

I havent seen Nemo in ages on msn, hope hes doing alright !

I'm with Tekki though, im pretty sure he is living in Sweden atm

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    I love it when I visit annually, but the economic environment at the moment just isn't favourable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    You are vacationing or moving there completely?
    I'm not trying to discourage you,
    Thanks guys for your concern, but what you gotta remember is that you are both state side (or canada side). I am from the UK, flights cost around 50 quid (about 70 bucks) and Spain is part of the EU along with England. So no big deal if I can't find work as I can just jump on a plane home for cheap, and working laws aren't an issue for a summer job if I'm from England.
    I am looking to go for about 5-6 months, literally during summer. I don't care about fancy accommodation and a standard room or even a hostel will do. Its not so much a vacation or even a career move, it's just to get away for the summer & hopefully meet new people.
    Like psikonetik said, people still want to party no matter what. And the English will still always flock in masses to Spain in summer time. I speak a small amount of Spanish but that isn't an issue as you find whole resorts full of English and even bars run by English people. I'm not too picky about work either, even if it's collecting glasses in a night club (something you don't really need to speak the language for).
    Anyway, I'm not at all worried about the economic state out there, but psikonetik, you can help me on one thing... when is the best time to go? I don't want to go too early when no one will be looking for staff & I don't want to go too late when all the jobs are taken. I'm thinking kinda early May? Also, I am thinking Malaga. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Tech Convert

I guess the best time would be around the 15th of June more or less, people finsh their exams and start vacations, it's when the real summer starts.

Malaga is great, great weather, food, awesome beach although I don't know about the clubbing scene there, sorry, Granada is great too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast