Live vs. Cubase vs. Logic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Live vs. Cubase vs. Logic

Hey guys. Currently I am using Ableton Live to do my productions but I've heard a lot of talk about cubase in tutorial videos I've been watching from people like Sub Focus and Chase & Status.

What do you guys prefer? What is your DAW of choice and why? I am trying to get more professional here so the more I know the better. Thanks.

I'm guessing you'll get a lot of different answers for this one...

Here's a few reasons why.

1. Workflow - This is really a preference thing, and can't be explained as it is based purely on how a given producer interacts with the GUI.

2. Platform - Some folks are dedicated to a particular platform (PC and/or Mac). Given that Logc is primarily a Mac app, if you already have a Mac, then it may translate into a cost thing. Ableton (in my opinion) presents a different workflow compared and may be an acquired taste for some be it on a Mac or PC.

3. Collaboration & Community - "No man is an island" If you work with a group of musicians or producers and they all use Ableton, it might be worthwhile to use it also to avoid some data conversion. This may also lend itself to a more streamlined workflow if everyone is "on the same page" so to speak.

NOW...having said all that. I'm a big fan of Future Music magazine's "In The Studio" series of videos, and so far I haven't seen any of those producers using Cubase.... I use Cubase....why?

Because another producer on the label I'm with also uses it, and we work better when we can just transfer files over the net and see exactly what the other is seeing/doing.

My story is rather boring... I started on Cakewalk (didn't have a mac back in the early 90s), started working with another person who used Cubase, and haven't looked back since.

I think most would agree that they all get the job done... heck Deadmau5 uses FL Studio, and his stuff sounds amazing!

Download the demos, you may be surprised by which one you gravitate towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    I'm guessing you'll get a lot of different answers for this one...

Here's a few reasons why.

1. Workflow - This is really a preference thing, and can't be explained as it is based purely on how a given producer interacts with the GUI.

2. Platform - Some folks are dedicated to a particular platform (PC and/or Mac). Given that Logc is primarily a Mac app, if you already have a Mac, then it may translate into a cost thing. Ableton (in my opinion) presents a different workflow compared and may be an acquired taste for some be it on a Mac or PC.

3. Collaboration & Community - "No man is an island" If you work with a group of musicians or producers and they all use Ableton, it might be worthwhile to use it also to avoid some data conversion. This may also lend itself to a more streamlined workflow if everyone is "on the same page" so to speak.

NOW...having said all that. I'm a big fan of Future Music magazine's "In The Studio" series of videos, and so far I haven't seen any of those producers using Cubase.... I use Cubase....why?

Because another producer on the label I'm with also uses it, and we work better when we can just transfer files over the net and see exactly what the other is seeing/doing.

My story is rather boring... I started on Cakewalk (didn't have a mac back in the early 90s), started working with another person who used Cubase, and haven't looked back since.

I think most would agree that they all get the job done... heck Deadmau5 uses FL Studio, and his stuff sounds amazing!

Download the demos, you may be surprised by which one you gravitate towards.
    Quite right, there really is no right answer.

It really is to what services your needs. However I think the question sometimes missed or overlooked when one gets into producing music is "what are my needs?".

I know I did this when I started, just jumped into it with no direction and expecting to push the proverbial "hot track" button and move on.

how wrong was I. Even then when you realize at how not like that it is, and your left with "what do I buy?/learn?"

Start with your system ... PC? Mac?

that can slightly narrow your choice down.

Demo's! that suggestion is a grand one because you get to try the interface out to see if you "click" well with it. You can navigate and understand it with as comfortable an ease as possible. Mind you this somewhat does also take time. I know producers who think they know a program that have new blood come along and show them a whole new world of circus tricks in that DAW.

Personally I have been using FL.Studio and recently moved to a Mac environment with Logic.

I also use Ableton and Cubase, Renoise, Rebirth, Record etc... but that is more myself being a "gear whore" and wanting to keep up with all technologies and somewhat remain a little loose and manageable for whatever project I may work on with anyone. Time consuming but good practice.

As well if you have anyone near you that produces, go tell them you wanna do the same and have them help you set up. They will have a world of knowledge for you.

Best tool you will have in the end, is always have fun with it and you will end up great!
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

"gear whore"

hahahaha... I love it. (I'm sure it must be an old term, but it still made me laugh)

Tech Convert

+ 1 for no really correct answer to this.... but.....

If you're talking about Logic you must be on a Mac and Logic is far more stable and established with better CPU resources than Cubase under the Mac OS, there are certain things in Cubase that simply don't work properly and haven't for the last few revisions.

I am aware of many people moving over to Logic 9 now and simply because of stability, latency and the ease of file swapping given such a large amount of modern dance and remixes are being done in Logic.

Tech Wizard

whats up bud!

what everyone has said is true.. there is no real best daw.. as many people think!

really depends on hwo you work, what platform you have, (maybe what control surfaces you have as well) and i believe sometimes what sort of music your making!

a good example is FL studio... for years people have smugged it off as more of a toy or learner program.. yet you see 100's of top prudcers using it soley for their productions, then there is abelton, the friendly interface.. with so many options and two different workflows.. then the traditional daws like logic, cubase, sonar and so on.. all very similar...

if you got a mac though i would say jsut go with logic... it is easier and its designed inside box just for a mac.. so makes sense to be very stable! it has.. i believe the best daw bundled instruments and plugins!!

if you got a pc.. and got ableton.. i would stick with it bro... it is powerful, especially if you learn itsa hidden uses and keystrokes... and you can work it into a live set in many different ways!

cubase is good but the service from them are shit! hahaha i laugh at them bringing out a demo version of 5 a few weeks later a fully working version crack came out... they should have done that years ago!

i have worked with all the daws i have mentioned and today i lean against cubase and ableton... but logic was great until i got rid of my shit macbookpro! sorry.. macs arent faster fanboys hahahahaha
    SmallCup

Tech Convert

I agree with everyone, its depending on taste...

however, since you asked for "advice" (really subjective in this area) I was just in the same situation as you not too long ago, and I found out that to start out, the Reason/Record combination does the trick fairly well

I can imagine people probably rolling their eyes already, but although the lack of VST support is a big issue for some, I found that for starters reason is the perfect "template" to start with, and Record adds the "DAW" aspect missing. And also, the fact that it seems built for limited use is completely false, you can get deep into production with this pair of programs (albeit doing certain "tricks") in fact, I recently did some mastering on a track I recorded in Garageband using reason!

and when you want to just use another daw (I use Logic as well) the Rewire function is incredibly intuitive and makes the connection seamlessly between reason and your DAW of choice

The webpage soundonsound.com offers great tutorials on these and DAWs like cubase, I suggest you take a look...then make your choice based on what everyone else has told you already!

In the end, its what you feel comfortable with.

Cheers

Tech Mentor

DAW Logic with reason rewired

Tech Student

I have tried all three and I find each one has its great points. Editing wise I like the arranger of Logic and Cubase.Cubase has the best quantize options.

Tech Wizard

noob question again but i want to make sure I get the right DAW; for house/electro music and usually not using much hardware based instruments, would logic be a good choice? I have a mac btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast