Single Platter Controllers

Default Single Platter Controllers

So I recently picked up an X-Session Pro. I enjoy it, it's my first bit of kit beyond the korgNano series, but I'm already running into limitations. I'm having fun, and that's what it's all about. But looking at what's out there, it's got me thinking.

I know I have posted before looking at some of the all in one controllers, but I've recently been toying with the idea of a modular setup. I've searched on here and a few other places, but am not able to answer all of my questions, so here they are.

The build I'm working toward is this:
    1x X-Session Pro (or upgraded mixer)
    2x Platter control
    1x NI Kontrol X1

I'm looking at the Eks XP10, Eks XP5, and the DJ Tech CDJ-101.

Those seem to be the only "single platter" controllers out there in the less expensive price ranges, and I've come to terms with not being interesting in the Stanton 1d for the time being.

I'm looking for something that would be able to give me the jog wheel capabilities of something similar to the VCI-100, but without the all in one approach.

The Eks XP10 only works for PC apparently, so I'm sliding away from that. I have a desktop PC at the moment, but I'm honestly thinking about getting a Mac laptop to dedicate toward DJing, and that just wouldn't work.

The Eks XP5 looks like a solid piece of kit, but then so does the DJ Tech CDJ-101.

Eks XP5: (~$142 USD each)

DJ Tech CDJ-101: (~$129 USD each)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Eks XP5 just because it has more options with the extra buttons. But what it really comes down to is platter control.

There's something about having a platter to scrub through tracks and just get the spot right which I find I'm missing at the moment. I like the idea of a modular design, because I can build it up slowly since I don't have a lot of funds to work with.

I know some of the functions would be "doubled" in a sense with the platters, but I feel as though it's a pretty important part of the setup I want to go for.

Considering that I'll have a lot of function out of the X1 and mixer/x-session pro as far as nobs and buttons are concerned, would you guys potentially recommend the simpler DJ Tech CDJ-101?

So has anyone had experience dealing with both controllers? Which one has a better jog wheel?

As far as a sound card is concerned, I understand that the Eks XP5 has a built in soundcard. I am currently running an NI Audio 2 DJ. Would having two of these controllers make it so I would NOT need to use the Audio 2? Could I just run an audio out for cueing from one, and then the master out from the other? It seems like that could be a major selling point to me if it is the case.

Once again, thanks for your time. I read this forum everyday, and am constantly amazed at the stuff people come up with.

get the xp5
    beacuse
    1) you can map dedicated functions for each deck to it, instead of having them located on another unit
    2) the platters are good on them
    3) the dj tech one looks like a childs toy and is sorely lacking in extra functionality compared to xp5, and there's only a $13 difference....
    4) even if you do end up with extra buttons, you'll find a use for them. better to have too many than not enough imo

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

thanks, I'm going to see if my local GC has them now, because it does seem like it could be a solid bit of kit (the xp5).

Tech Guru

i just switched from a VCI-100 to two X1's and an external mixer.

Soooo....no jog wheels for me, just the rotary knobs on the X1's. It takes some getting used to, but im getting the hang of it. I think there is so much you can do with an X1, that with a jog wheel all you get is just that. A jogwheel. I think for the money you get more functionality from an X1.

Just some thoughts because when i first plugged in the X1's I went a little ape shit and felt lost without jogs. I think some creative mappings also fixes many of the issues too.

my vcis jogs have 4 different modes, and only 2 of them are proper jog functions

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    i just switched from a VCI-100 to two X1's and an external mixer.

Soooo....no jog wheels for me, just the rotary knobs on the X1's. It takes some getting used to, but im getting the hang of it. I think there is so much you can do with an X1, that with a jog wheel all you get is just that. A jogwheel. I think for the money you get more functionality from an X1.

Just some thoughts because when i first plugged in the X1's I went a little ape shit and felt lost without jogs. I think some creative mappings also fixes many of the issues too.
    Yeah I'm leaning down that route. For now I have the x-session pro as my mixer, and would like to upgrade to a nicer one at some point but it does the job for now.

I plan on getting an Kontrol X1 to go with it, but I really like the idea of having jog wheels since I've mostly mixed (not well, but learned a bit) on turntables. That's why I'm looking at something like the Eks XP5 to go in addition to a mixer and X1. Just to be jog wheels.

My plan is to have it all in a hard road case that I can literally just open, connect the computer, and plug in to audio. And I like the idea of a modular design for that because it would let me get a better mixer, maintain jog wheels, and all the tools an X1 brings to the table.

I am mixing mostly DnB/Dubstep/Breaks and some Electro House, so I'm really focusing on only 2 decks for the time being. I don't really need 4 deck capabilities with my current skill level, but I want to leave the option available in the future.

my ideal setup atm:

Eks XP5 (Deck A) - Mixer (atm X-Session Pro) - Kontrol X1 (Decks A + B) - Eks XP5 (Deck B)

Potentially adding a looping control like the MIDI Fighter in the future. Small, modular, and totally effective.

Tech Guru

I hear ya man. Right now Im on a similar path having everything set up in a hard case where I can just plug and play. I started with VCI-100 and a Trigger Finger and it was great, but I didn't like the 4 decks on it. I'm curious why don't you just get a VCI?

I thought I would miss the jog wheels, and I still do a bit - but after doing some reading and talking to guys who ditched the jogs for the X1's you don't loose much, especially for the type of music your playing. I had thought about using two 1D's so I could have jog wheels instead of the X1's but decided to use the X1's. I don't have a X-session but wonder if you can use the pitch faders and use them as volumes for the other 2 decks and controll all four decks with it? Then assign play/pause/sync etc. to the X1.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    I don't have a X-session but wonder if you can use the pitch faders and use them as volumes for the other 2 decks and controll all four decks with it? Then assign play/pause/sync etc. to the X1.
    You can. So really, it's an inexpensive 4 channel midi mixer. All depends on the .tsi you use or write yourself.

Right now I'm using and_leite's mapping for the x-session and he has a lot going on that I plan on bridging out to other controllers later.

I've honestly thought a lot about getting a VCI 100 or 300. What it comes down to really is a couple of things. I don't like the stories of the VCI in high bass environments having the jog wheels go berserk. I really like messing around and customizing my own setup (this is probably the biggest factor). I also like a modular approach, so if I wanted to upgrade a mixer in the future I could, whereas with a VCI you're "stuck" with what you have, even though it seems pretty solid.

I also want to get turntables in the future, which won't work well with the x-session, but if I upgrade the mixer as well I'd like a system where I can do digital on 2 decks, and vinyl on the other 2. Modular approach really, built for improvements in the future. Have my little travel box in the middle, and the two tables to either side. Plug the tables into the mixer and be good to go when I am home for 4 deck control, or have the case available for on the go 2 deck control.

I am really impressed with the VCI however, and if $$ runs my way in the future, I will probably still pick one up. Right now a couple of my buddies who are thinking about getting into mixing are looking at different controllers, so maybe I'd have some more play time on one of those. Right now all my friends use DVS systems with turntables. I want to go a bit different route, while still maintaining a hook to the traditional setup.

It's complicated basically.

Tech Guru

dude not complicated AT ALL. You just described my set up.

I have my external mixer - Xone 42, and two X1's, along with an audio 8 that I plan on getting a case for. I can just take this with me, plug in to some speakers and am as mobile as I need to be fairly easily. At home I plug in my TT 1200's, and if I go somewhere with a house set up I take my X1's.

Makes complete sense to me!!!

........but, I will add the VCI-100 is SUPER easy to transport and the workflow of it is VERY easy to use and provides with a ton of functions to destroy a bad ass set with. Only drawback is you can only add more controllers to it. Technically you can add turntables though.