Updating VCI-100 to new firmware...

Default Updating VCI-100 to new firmware...

here's my dilemma...

I bought a vci-100 in May of '07, and have not been thrilled with the way the stock jogwheels operate (the whole ramp up issue). It's a great piece of kit, just a bit flawed in this area... to remedy the problems i suck felt pads below the jogs to give them a little resistance, seems to work ok...

so i was psyched when i heard about the new firmware (1.2), and letdown when i found out I had to take my unit into a Vestax Service Center.

Lucky for me i have 2 service centers within 30 miles... Ha, yeah right...

When called up, both service shops had no info on the firmware update, or the cables Vestax was supposed to supply for the update. Both said they would get back to me... that of course never happened. this was 4 months ago....

Last week I called them, same response...

I thought a local GC might have the cables, being a dealer of vestax, but no dice...

The Vestax Forums (http://vestaxpro.com/phpBB2/) are overtaken by spambots, and when it wasn't (many months ago), the vestax reps weren't very forthcoming with information about this subject...

what can i do? I feel a bit shafted about this whole firmware ordeal, especially being an early adoptor of the unit...

I've thought about many a time selling mine on ebay for a loss and buying a new one, but all i really want is a simple firmware update... i didnt think it would be this difficult...

sorry to hear that man. i dont know of anyother options than to send it to a center... you can see if you have the new firmware by holding the vynlmode buttons on both decks...and if they turn off ( no red or blu color) then u got the new firmware...

even tho i have version 1.2 i still have a miniscule ramp up.

Tech Wizard

Default must agree

I'm right there with you corporation. I'm pretty tempted to find where the firmware is and see if its possible to easily dump the firmware.

However, I might have a hack solution that works if you have a Mac. I'm working on it right now, I'll report back in a few days if it works.

sgb

I had to hound the place i bought it from to try and get my firmware update, then in the end i ended up getting in touch of a local service agent by finding him on the internet. Being super nice with him of course its taken about 11 or 12 outward emails to finally source this firmware update. The guy said that talking with Vestax Japan to sort the issue was rather difficult, so i imagine this is why its so difficult for some people to get their service centers to do it.

Actually at one stage i thought i would not get the firmware at all so i am quite thankful for this guys work. Hopefully Vestax can take a lesson from this and allow user upgrades in the future, after all the 1.1 firmware mistakes must have cost Vestax big bux considering users cannot upgrade their own unit.

Id love to get the Ean Golden firmware and get this guy to install it for me on the side not under warranty Anyone know where we can get our hands on the Ean Golden firmware ? *Keeps dreaming*

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'm right there with you corporation. I'm pretty tempted to find where the firmware is and see if its possible to easily dump the firmware.

However, I might have a hack solution that works if you have a Mac. I'm working on it right now, I'll report back in a few days if it works.

sgb
    Alright, the hack works, but its not very good. All I did was setup midipipe to send two midi messages when the crossfader is at the extreme left or extreme right edge. When the fader is all the way to the right, it sends a Deck A off message - letting the software take over deck A. Same with Deck B.

Not a bad solution, but it introduces a little lag. i'll post the pipe if you want to try it out.

@BentoSan: I think there is a program that Ean is putting out that will allow you to have all the Ean Golden firmware features.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I had planned to get the special edition firmware when my friend receives his Ean golden edition and update mine myself, but just assumed it would be possible and pretty easy with access to the right tools But after pulling mine apart today I don't think its is possible. The VCI-100 uses an H8-3502 micro-controller, from what I have read of the data sheet the F-ZTAT programming interface does not actually support dumping of the chips flash memory, which means we cant get the firmware off the VCI itself. So unless someone nice from Vestax releases it no sly upgrading

I just brought it up because im not sure if the midi stand between program really offers everything the ean golden VCI has or just most of it ? ie. do the LED's function as intended ect.